Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Adolescence

Adolescence That fiery time prior to your child becoming a teenager. Their bodies are filled with hormones and turmoil. How are you coping?

Old 05-20-2002, 05:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Lawn Mowing

How old is "old enough" to mow the lawn? I'm wondering how old some of your sons have been when you've allowed them to start using the push mower, and the riding mower.

I'd love to turn this job over to my ds (he's almost 12, but very tall for his age) but my dh says not until he's 14. I can remember using the rider when I was 11!

Kelly H.
Old 05-21-2002, 07:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I remember cutting the grass when I was quite young, too. I don't remember the exact age. But my ds says that the kids are too young. My dd's are 14 and 13! He says it's not safe and they are too irresponsible to avoid injury.

I realize that the potential for injury is there--and a lawn mower injury is very serious.

This year we purchased a new mower with a bagger, now he says that the girls can use it. I'll still worry, though!

Caroline
Old 05-21-2002, 08:01 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi. I think that you just have to use your judgment with this one. Everyone does not mature at the same rate. Give him a lesson and see if you think that he can handle it. Good luck and send him here when he is done, LOL.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:34 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by ksrainbow
Hi. I think that you just have to use your judgment with this one. Everyone does not mature at the same rate. Give him a lesson and see if you think that he can handle it. Good luck and send him here when he is done, LOL.
This is what we did with Tony. He was 9 the first time he mowed, under our supervision of course. My DH is more protective than I am, or should I say that I have more faith in Tony than he does? I guess it's just how you look at it Tony still mows the lawn, but now we have a lawn tractor, so DH does it most of the time and Tony pushes the push mower for the edges etc.

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 05-21-2002, 11:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Does your son want to mow? If he does, and has the maturity to work with a machine, it maybe time to start. Our ds (8) isn't mowing yet, but loves to help. (We have a bagger, he helps put the clipppings as mulch in the garden) As soon as he is mature enough to respect the machine (not this year), he will be push mowing. The rider will be awhile- it is a dangerous machine!

We want to encourage him but look out for his safety at the same time. I'd say there is no "magical" age. When we work in the yard I do try to find something for all to do. My kids think weeding is fun!
Old 05-22-2002, 04:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I believe I was 10 or12 when I started cutting the grass. It's not brain surgury. With a few safety rules and confidence in you child that they can remember the simple steps it should be safe enough.

Running the lawn mower was one of the last things my husband taught my son before he died. Ed was 10, and very responsible in this area, not so responsible in many others tho.

He checks the oil and gas, he wears his steel toed workboots and he enjoys cutting the grass. He checks what is in the path of what is being shot out the side in case a stone comes flying out and gets to holler at his sisters if they try to venture in the yard while he is cutting.

It is also a way for him to feel closer to dad.
KC
Old 05-22-2002, 05:40 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My DGD is 10 and she has used the riding mower since last summer when she was 9. DH sets it up and tells her what area she can mow (flat areas only) and he tells her the speed it has to stay at. She loves doing it and it gives him a break for a while.
She is very cautious and we are constantly watching her so she is never alone. She is very proud to be able to do this.
Old 05-24-2002, 08:59 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

It seems to me that you can't go wrong giving way to your husband in an area like this. You wouldn't want your boy to be hurt and then have the injury plus all that regret.

Mowing is good exercise for mama's, especially since we sometimes have a hard time keeping our physical activity up.
If it's becoming a problem for you, maybe your husband can
pick up this chore, or hire someone he feels comfortable with.

Hope this helps!:- )
Old 05-24-2002, 10:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My 11 year old son has been mowing our grass for two years. Like the others, it depends on the maturity of the child.
My son will mow the grass, if asked, but I actually enjoy mowing it. I've found that nobody bothers me at all while I am mowing!
Old 05-25-2002, 06:18 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Mowing Age???

My youngest son will be 11 yrs. old Tuesday and he has been on the riding lawnmower for about a year now. We set the speed and put him into open area and let him go. He has taken out a daylily bed, water hose and landed on top of the mechanical sewer system once, but we are always out there to supervise him. Like a dummy I ran inside to answer the phone and left him. This is the major factor here. Don't leave him unsupervised!!! This has given my little one so much self confidence and trust me he doesn't let one blade of grass go untouched all summer.

Now he's beating my head in to be allowed to weedeat and for that I want him to be a little taller than what he is. Weedeating will just have to wait until next summer maybe.

As posted above, only you know your son's maturity level and this will have to be an agreement between you and your DH.