Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Adolescence

Adolescence That fiery time prior to your child becoming a teenager. Their bodies are filled with hormones and turmoil. How are you coping?

View Poll Results: Should schools use uniforms/standardized dress code?
Yes - uniform 20 44.44%
No 6 13.33%
Yes - but not uniform. Standardized dress code/eg. blue slacks/white shirt 19 42.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2002, 10:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Question School Uniforms or Not?

Hi - This is my very first post and I am looking for opinions on school uniforms. Do you like them/dislike them? Did the concept work, what was positive/negative about them. Do your
children wear them or did you?
Really, I am just looking for input as our school is currently deciding on whether to go uniforms or not.
Thanks so much for your reply!!!
Old 04-10-2002, 08:47 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My 9 yo son went to Kindergarten at a school (public) that wore uniforms. I thought it was a great idea...I wish the school we are in now used them. It is great to just get up in the morning and put on clothes without having to decide on what shirt to wear, which pants look best...etc. We had a choice of white shirts over navy bottoms or navy shirts over khaki bottoms. In my opinion it made going to school a special event...much like when my dh puts on his uniform and goes to work. I think as the kids get older, like in middle school and high school it is even more important for the kids to focus on their studies rather than worry about if their shirt is "cool enough".
By the way the school had a waiver for the parents to sign if they did not want their kids to wear uniforms.
I'm hoping that when we move next year our kids will be going to a school that has uniforms.
Old 04-11-2002, 11:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Most British schools have uniforms. It is a lot easier than having to decide what children have to wear each day, they don't have to own half as many clothes because of school uniforms. Children look smart every day and because they wear it, there is much less competition about who looks best or has the latest trends. More time can be spent on study rather than discussing fashion!
My childrens school has a summer uniform and a winter uniform, both are smart and tidy. It is certainly easier on the finances! And their school photos look great!
Old 04-11-2002, 11:42 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am 100% for school uniforms, not a uniform policy. I was a middle school teacher for 10 years and half of the time we had a "dress code" for 4 more years we had a strict uniform policy which was wonderful, and for the last year I taught, they went to a "uniform code." which wasn't as good.

I have several reasons that I like the uniform policy:

1. It helps keep kids on a level playing field in the fashion realm. Sure they still have the expensive sneakers and back packs and still run with their little groups, but it is a huge help.

2. It REALLY cuts down on the suggestive/revealing clothing. We still had girls who tried to roll up their skirts and shorts, and guys who tried to let their pants hang low, but those were VERY minor problems that were EASILY addressed by a teacher merely saying, "Please pull your pants up to your waist." or "Please unroll your skirt/shorts so that it is at the required length (at least to the bottom of the finger tips.....with their shoulders down, not hunched up to their ears LOL!)

3. Uniforms wree MUCH cheaper than the clothes kids wanted to buy, and they could be handed down. we also had scholarships for needy families, and a big "yard sale" at the beginning or end of each year in which the kids graduating donated their shirts, shorts, skirts, pants, skorts, sweatshirts and jackets. This was a great help to people as well.

4. The kids complained at any chance they were given, but they really did like them! No arguements with parents in the mornings, fewer struggles about clothing at school, everybody looked the same, and they even wear them when they weren't in school! You wouldn't believe how many kids I saw wearing their uniforms around town on their days off.

5. It also really helped as far as safety goes. We could easily spot someone who didn't belong because they were out of uniform.

6. To the VERY FEW parents who complained and said that it hampered their child's "first amendment rights" I say: first, go back and study what first amendment rights really mean, secondly now that you see it has nothing to do with the first amendment, if you are trying to say that it will hamper you child's abiblity to "express" himself/herself, I say that it is a sad and terrible day when the only way our children can express themselves and show their individuality and creativity is through clothing. They need to be taught to speak, write and create expressively, and to stretch their minds and their hearts.

Well, a long answer to your question, but it is a subject about which I have had a lot of experience and have a great deal to say. I only saw positive things from it and the more strict the dress code the better things were.
Old 04-11-2002, 03:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am definitely for a strict dress code; but not necessarily uniforms which would have to be purchased from a specific place. If I could make the uniforms, that would be OK. I have six kids in school, and buying uniforms would be very expensive (even with scholarships).

I don't think it would be a big deal to my kids either...they mostly wear about the same things to school over and over. I have to fuss at them to wear something different. One of my twins has worn out two pairs of "Barbie" pants in both the knees and hems in just a little over a year.

I went to a private school. We had a loose dress code...no shirts without collars, specified length on shorts and skirts, etc. But we still had problems with some of the kids showing off their expensive clothes. If we had a more strict code...say of "blue pants/skirts/jumpers and white shirts", there might not have been such a difference in the clothing "cliques".

Charlene, mother to five

When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

yes to uniforms

I think uniforms are awesome,they are sharp looking and makes it easy to pick out cloths for school that day. Just go and grab a bottom and a top,usually they will match. One problem I have watched is the school my DD goes to didn't inforce there uniform code that they had put out for all to follow. Since some decided to alter from it,they didn't want to cause waves,and let is slide. Put out another paper with the new item that they can wear. Compromise!
Kids done't need hang ups with cloths,just get to school and learn all that they can learn to take out into the world with them! I give uniforms a thumbs up:
Old 04-12-2002, 10:40 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I can tell I'm a minority since I'm not for uniforms. Some of the "selling points' in the decisions at our public school system (since the parents had to vote on it school by school) were:

You can't tell the rich kids from the poor kids. Believe me that by the time a uniform has been used for 3 or 4 years it is grey, not white, the school logo is worn off and the shirt has holes.

You can tell if someone doesn't belong on campus. ANYONE can buy the uniforms, they don't need some proof that they go to the school.

It's cheaper. However, I buy our clothes from the thrift store at year end for 25 cents. A uniform shirt costs $13.00, the pants $20.00 and the sweatshirt $13.00 with a sole source provider.

It cuts down on gang conflicts at school. Somehow I think kids know if you belong to a gang and which one. You'll make trouble with or without a school uniform.

Yes, I know teens will try to be different even with the uniforms, and it may cut down some on "amorous glances" but I'm convinced that hormones an just plain teenagedness will win in the end regardless of whether uniforms are worn.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

disagree

Not to sure if I agree that teenagers will win out in the end with there individuality. I come from a Christian home as a adult,not as a child. Didn't care for trends ,that is peer pressure. We chose a Christian school,there isn't all that sterotype that my child needs to be wearing this or they will be ridiculed. The school my DD goes to has parents from all range of the finances from just making it to having the Suv's. There is no need to have the hype to wear certain types of cloths. That comes from the T.V.
We get uniforms from Kmart to thirft stores to swaping at the school. That is a awesome idea,swap with the other kids and they get items and you get them also.
The main thing we like to focus on in the education,not what your wearing.
Old 04-12-2002, 05:46 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi this is my first post here. We use uniforms in our public school system with an opt out. I orginally liked the idea of uniforms, however now I have changed my mind. At the start of the county wide uniform policy you could find the uniforms readily, now ( a few years down the road) by mid year you don't have the variety as the start of the year. So I end up buying regular clothes in the schools uniform colors and spending more than if I were just buying jeans and nice shirts. I think if the schools just enforce their dress code that they have had for years it is better. But that is just my humble opinion. Sherry
Old 04-12-2002, 07:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My children have gone to private and public schools, and worn uniforms at some and not at others. I voted for standardized dressing rather than a uniform for various reasons. The most important one is economy. For example, at one school we HAD to order our uniforms from a specific uniform company, and it was very expensive compared to what I could get the same thing for at either a thrift store, consignment store, or a regular department store. The girls wore a dark blue skirt and an oxford shirt in either white or light blue. Well, the oxford shirts are readily available at WalMart or a secondhand store very reasonably, and the skirt could be made or bought at those same places quite reasonably also. They looked the same, but because the school had contracted with the uniform company, we were stuck paying several hundred dollars for uniforms! That was the downside. However, I am all for standardized dressing because then you can go to a secondhand store or a department store and get the standardized clothing quite reasonably.

I also am all for the standardization of what children wear to school because of the problems it eliminates. Especially as the kids get older, it eliminates a lot of snobbery in dressing because not everyone can afford either the name brands or the "look" that is popular at the time. It just makes preparing for school so much easier. My children liked it. In fact, our public school district is voting on this very issue this month, and I hope we do have standardized dressing this fall!

Blessings!