Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Adolescence

Adolescence That fiery time prior to your child becoming a teenager. Their bodies are filled with hormones and turmoil. How are you coping?

View Poll Results: Should schools use uniforms/standardized dress code?
Yes - uniform 20 44.44%
No 6 13.33%
Yes - but not uniform. Standardized dress code/eg. blue slacks/white shirt 19 42.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2002, 12:38 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Free Dress Days

Carie;

I forgot to tell you that your daughter can wear those cute and trendy outfits, if she is selected on Free Dress Day. This is held once per 6 weeks period, generally on a Friday. Students who have made honor roll (all A's & B's) or banner roll (all A's) are selected. Students who have no absences are selected. In elementary school if a teacher catches you doing something nice such as opening a door for an adult or someone with full hands, picking up a piece of trash that isn't even yours, helping someone with their work, you recieve an "I've been caught being good" ticket and with three tickets you too are selected for free dress day. This encourages manners and going that extra mile. Free Dress day is such an incentive for these kids and it also serves as a fundraiser as well since you can pay an additional .50 and wear a hat on free day. Bottom line, even if you're not a smart student, they have made it so easy to be selected for free dress that no one is left out unless they just plain choose not to participate or try. Our Elementary school is allowed khaki or navy pants, skirts, skorts or shorts with Hunter Green, White or navy polo shirts, a brown or black belt and tennis shoes (haven't been regulated except for large writing on them). Along with standardize dress codes are rules pertaining to outrageous hair colors and cuts, males adorning earings, male and females wearing outrageous jewelry and certainly the consequences for breaking these rules. It's alot to consider but well worth the efforts to maintain an atmosphere of equality and education.
Old 04-21-2002, 02:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Uniforms??

First of all, a big thanks to all who have posted here. There have been lots of excellent views both pro and con, and I've enjoyed reading them all.

To Mrs. Maniac: Wow! I had not even thought about a "Free Dress Friday" and the system of earning rewards to participate is excellent! What a great idea! I am going to suggest this to our School Board if they vote for either uniforms or standardized dressing.

Also, the rules for hair, jewelry and shoes are great! Again, something I will suggest. We do have those rules already but it doesn't hurt for those things to be reinforced. We all need reminders!

Thanks again for the great posts!!

Blessings!

Old 06-25-2002, 08:47 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing

I went to four different high schools as a teen, each with their own dress codes.
The strict uniform was great in that everyone looked sharp. The down side was that since the uniforms were expensive (ordered from a single uniform company) the amount of money that was spent for uniforms made it impossibly to spend for other clothes so that when we switched schools to a nonuniformed one I had almost nothing to wear! Having a day where those who needed could come and recieve free uniforms would alleviate that.
The uniform dress code, uniform but not singular, was probably the best, since not every one looks good in the same kind or color of clothes. Having teachers wear the same kind of clothes is not especially a good idea, as students we all wanted it, as a teacher where I had to wear the same as the students it became difficult to distinguish some of the teachers from some of the older students and we did what we could to wear something the students could not wear to be different and respected as having enough sense to not wear something that the students should not wear when they were out of school.
The strict dress code still gave problems with cliques and cheaters who would find ways to get around the code to wear whatever they wanted. It takes greater deliniation of rules to have that kind of code. I think if there was an "ugly outfit" for those who wore an outfit that did not fall within the guidelines (and did not bring an alternative outfit), enforcement of the code would have been much easier.
Old 06-27-2002, 02:02 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I was in school not too long ago. I didn't have to wear uniforms. I was glad to be able to feel good in what I chose to wear. I'm glad we didn't have to wear uniforms because I would have felt really lousy because I didn't look the same way as other people in the clothes, maybe by hips would look too big or my knees would show in a skirt. Atleast when I chose what to wear I would know I looked the best I could, and therefore I would feel good about myself.

I know there are lots of good reasons for schools to have them, and often peer competition is brought up, and altough external competition may be eliminated, internal competition isn't, and I kind of think that what a kid thinks about himself is more important than what others think.
Old 06-29-2002, 09:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

my DD had a choice (of about 5 schools) this year of what school to go to. Her first question was if she had to wear a uniform.
She doesn't have the most expensive clothes...most are from thrifts, and decorated by us... she likes to show her individuality.
I really don't care either way, if she's happy with the way she looks. BUT...uniforms are a financial burden for me. My DD is growing so fast at this point, that it would cost a small fortune!

Old 07-03-2002, 05:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dd goes to parochial school so she wears uniforms. I like it because there is no debate on what to wear to school. The uniforms are pricey but they hold up well and we get 2 years out of each one. Plus twice a year we have a uniform exchange where we can buy/sell uniforms, that does help out.
Old 07-04-2002, 06:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Uniforms

I like EJaginLa's school's idea of offerring Free Dress Day for good grades. I am going to mention that to my principal. At my school, the uniforms have made the kids less-self-conscious I think. My school is a poor school, and some of the kids just don't have many clothes. Some don't even have winter coats! Our uniform is kind of relaxed- navy pants and red, white, blue T-shirt, etc. Does not have to be a special brand, so you can find them at garage sales and Walmart. I priced an outfit of pants and shirt for a 3rd grader and they were a little less than $20.00. So two pairs of pants and 5 or 6 T-shirts could be about $75.00. With shoes that does sound high. You can also add in a few pairs of shorts and I guess the total would be around $100.00.I am going to start scouting out garage sales for the above items. That also would be a good project for the Parent Teacher Association. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

We have unform at most schools over here. It is alot cheaper than buying clothes all year round

Love conquers all...even snoring

Man can not live by chocolate alone...but woman can
Old 06-30-2006, 04:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

bump
Any new thoughts here?
Old 06-30-2006, 05:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My oldest has had uniforms for the past 3 years at a private school and for me it has been great.

The boys wear navy dress pants/shorts, with white or light blue polo shirts. And the girls wear plaid jumpers or navy skorts/shorts/pants, with white/light blue/pale yellow polo shirts or white blouses. You can purchase navy or grey sweatshirts with the school logo on if you wish.

The first year I ordered two plaid jumpers and one white blouses from the uniform company and a sweatshirt from school and paid $100. I picked up 4 white polo shirts at K-mart on sale for $3 each. I did pick up a pair of navy pants (had elastic & button on the inside to adjust the waist) in the fall for her to wear in the winter. For $130 she was set and wore the clothes for two years until she out grew the 4" hem and the double buttons on the side.

After that I was able to find the jumpers, polo shirts and navy pants at Goodwill and pick them up for under $2. The school also has a used uniform sale before school starts.

Now this year my oldest will be going to private school and will need more everyday clothes to wear to school. We will be hitting the thrift stores for pants & shirts so she isn't always wearing a t-shirt to school.

Roberta