Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Adolescence

Adolescence That fiery time prior to your child becoming a teenager. Their bodies are filled with hormones and turmoil. How are you coping?

Old 09-22-2004, 11:09 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Does anyone's child take Strattera?

My daughter has struggled in school since the beginning but no one ever suggested meds before now.
She started 9th grade this year and asked me if she could take something to help her pay attention better. I talked to her teacher for special ed and she was surprised no one had mentioned it before now.
Our family practitioner started her on Strattera today. I just wondered if anyone else's child is taking it and how it works for them.
Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It's not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything." -Muhammad Ali
Old 09-30-2004, 05:14 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

strattera

my ds took Strattera his 9th grade year as well and did wonderfully on it!! He was on Wellbutrin before the Strattera and said that he felt like a zombie....He also had a severe allergic reaction to the Wellbutrin, so we started him on the Strattera. He has had no side effects and has had many wonderful changes since doing so!!
Old 09-30-2004, 07:20 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My youngest son takes Strattera. His teacher can tell when he has taken it later than usual. She says that it's like a switch has been thrown. On Strattera he's quiet, does his work and listens. When he doesn't take it he's rowdy, unfocused and can NOT sit still.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Young granddaughter on med

My five-year-old granddaughter, who just started kindergarten, has been on Strattera for just over a month now, and the behavorial results are amazing. We have suspected for some time that she was ADD, and after two visits with a physician, he indicated she is probably ADD rather than ADHD or perhaps it might even be a total lack of group socialization skills learned before she began school. Her inability to interact and follow instructions in a group as well as her lack of control when being instructed to focus required something.

My daughter is nurse and was really opposed to medicating with a narcotic. Strattera is a non-narcotic. So far, the results in this little girl have been nothing short of amazing.

She is able to focus, participate in group instruction without creating distractions, and for most days, brings home a green card, which indicates good behaviour for that day. Her sense of accomplishment is now incredible, and she is able to relate to what the medication is supposed to do and help calm down her own behaviour at times now.

Interesting but unfortunate example of how well this med is working for her is that her folks forgot to give it to her before she left for school one day early on in this process, and the day was dramatically different from the previous week.

The only side effects we are closely monitoring is that she doesn't eat well spontaneously and she is not able to fall asleep as easily at night. She is quite thin (hallmark of ADD) and just doesn't seem interested in eating. She says she just isn't hungry. Meal times require extra attention to make sure she is reminded to eat. Bedtime requires extra attention to make sure she stays in bed and is quiet.

The physician started her out on the lowest dose, and dr. and mom have upped the dosage to the next level. Better results. This medication is one that you have to "tinker" with on each patient to find the right dosage and strength for body weight, severity of problems, etc.

Certainly worth a try!
Old 10-01-2004, 05:27 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thank you all so much for your positive comments. We are now into week 3, we've gone from 25mg to 40mg to now 60. The nice thing is Nicole knows herself well enough she can tell when it's wearing off, and how it's working. She said the 40s were wearing off in the early afternoon so we called the dr. and he upped it to 60 which she says is working great. She says it helps her hear better and I've noticed she doesn't fidget and pick at things as much. She had a bad habit of always tearing things up, writing on her hands and arms, etc. That is all gone. She says she is able to focus on what the teacher is saying now.
So far the only side effect was a headache when it wore off but she says even that has gone away.
Why oh why didn't we do this last year.
But better late than never! Thanks again everybody!
Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It's not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything." -Muhammad Ali
Old 10-01-2004, 07:57 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My 6 yr old son is also on Stattera and he is doing great. He has been on 35mg for about 6 months now. When we first put him on it he was on 25mg and that didn't seem to be doing the job so the dr put him on Concerta and that made him really violent. So we put him back on Strattera and increased the mg and it's working great I wouldn' t put him on anything else except for maybe trying something that is all natural. We have thought about that to but we aren't sure yet. If we do it won't be till after school is out for the summer.

Good luck and God Bless
Tammy