Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Adolescence

Adolescence That fiery time prior to your child becoming a teenager. Their bodies are filled with hormones and turmoil. How are you coping?

Old 04-22-2004, 03:30 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Daughter's and the Influence of Friends

Okay, I blame most of dd's influences on the city we moved too and will be moving out of in just 5 wks-YEAH!!!

I noticed that 7 yr dd suddenly became obsessed with her clothing, she didn't want to wear anything unless it was tight. My sister had introduced me to a store so I bought some clothes for dd there, my sister picked out two pairs of pants that were tight and stylish. We'll my dd didn't want to wear any other pants but those two and it ended up in lots of morning arguements between us because of it. I ended up getting rid of both pants but that hasn't solved my problem.

Dd wants to dress a little bit older than her age and she is acting as if she is a preteen, but I noticed that the other girls in her class are the exact same way. Where we used to live the kids acted like kids and the clothes they wore were appropriate for their age. The kids here aren't the same.

I noticed also the attitudes of the girls here is alot loose and older. Dd had one girl come home and she was very odd and talked to me as if she were my age. I didn't like the way she acted like begging me to let dd go to her house and if I did she'd give me money??? Mine you this girl was 7 yrs old. She also didn't seem to understand that she couldn't come over every single day.
This girl moved and I was happy.

Now dd has another friend and this girl is 8 in dd's class and she acts much older as well. She has stood and touched my hair as my mouth dropped, I'm not used to kids acting so impersonal! I have also seen her whispering and gushing over a boy. She was whispering to dd over a boy that we don't deal with. We've had quite a few problems with the local hoodlums around us and this girl likes one of them, so dd and this girl were down by one of the hoodlums houses and I saw her whispering to dd to tell one of the boys something. When I told dd to come here the girl ran to me saying that they were cursing at dd. They don't like dd because of me, I've called the police on this hoodlums twice already for trespassing on our rented property and for one of their friends assaulting dd. I told the girl that dd could not be around those boys and I told dd that if her friend was trying to be around these boys because she likes them that to tell her to stop or she won't be allowed to play with this girl.

The kids here are like little adults running around free and wild. I told dd that this girl was too young to be hanging on boys.

I just hope this behavior doesn't continue when we move back to the extremely conservative area we used to live. I'm glad I am moving back before it gets worst but I am worried that the damage has already been done with dd.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:51 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I know pretty much how you feel, it is just as hard with my DD having a sister that is a teen, and then friends in the neighborhood that are older than DD!

Here is a link that has some good information on adolescence and peer pressure:

http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/family/nf211.htm

Hope someone can at least get a little bit of direction from the link.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:31 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks for that link!

I'll mark it. Fortunately dd isn't living around them girls anymore, we moved back to Tennessee two months ago. Dd has slowed down quite a bit. I'm glad because I didn't want her being like that. She still likes fashion as she says but it's much more 'normal' clothing now and she's not obsessed with it anymore so that's wonderful.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:44 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I guess kids live by the old saying "monkey see monkey do".

You know how many times we heard it as a kid, if so and so were to jump off a bridge would you?

I am so glad that your DD's attitude has seemed to turn around, that is great! It is hard when they are at this age and get an attitude.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:29 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Yes and also the saying that goes...location, location, location

I am glad we won't be seeing a little version of Britney Spears walking around the house anytime soon!!!
Old 07-28-2004, 08:53 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Yes, I forgot, that one.

Good to hear that you won't have a little version of Britany Spears!

Now, I am just hoping that the low riding pants go out of style, and it goes back to the belly button.