Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-15-2002, 07:17 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I talked to my step daughter about her body and mestruation about a year ago. She would have been almost 12 then. She had already begun to bud breasts, so I knew time was of the essence. I was frank with her and showed her pictures and explaned. We did not go into intercourse at that time. I gave her plenty of opportunities to ask questions.

This past summer, I gave her the big talk. She had already been menstruating for about 2or 3 months. She turns 13 the 19 of this month. I gave it to her pretty straight. Gave her examples from my past and had her dad tell her how boys are at that age and what to expect. I also told her that she needs to be strong and have a good strong head on her shoulders, cause the next few years will be tough.
Old 09-16-2002, 05:00 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: The North Country in New York State. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
My daughter is 9 years old. This past summer she asked a small question that I took as an opening and we discussed it. The way I handled it was to be as frank as possible. The one question led to another and another and another and before I knew it, we had discussed menstruation, sex, marriage, my views on sex before marriage, her absolute disgust about the entire idea of sex, etc. She now knows that she'll eventually get her period, what it will feel like, what to do, etc. She also knows why she gets it, what can and will happen once she does, etc.

She still has questions which she now realizes she can ask me. I have always strived to be honest and straightforward in my answers to questions. The trick is to give the info in a manner that they can understand at their age group. I would imagine that at the age of 11, she can understand anything you tell her.

Good luck.

We must make our homes centers of
compassion and forgive endlessly.
~Mother Teresa
Old 09-16-2002, 04:28 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Absolutely!

Mrs. Rose. And don't give more information than they ask for.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:17 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

armedwithjello and MrsRoseofShara I loved your comments! My kids knew (even the boy) quite young. They all eventually walk in while you are changing a pad and you have to answer all their questions. My youngest was starting to get upset when she saw all that blood, (I think at about age four), but I just explained that this was just a giant bandaid to soak up the blood, and that the body was cleaning itself by flushing the egg out with the blood. Of course this led to other questions but I tried to be matter-of-fact. I am so pleased with how my daughters take everything in stride. My eldest had her ears pierced the day she started menstruating. I also took her to the store and we looked at all the packages of pads and tampons and I asked her what she thought she wanted me to buy for her. Even our boy knows. It's surprising how they can ask questions and roll their eyes at the same time!
Old 09-17-2002, 12:45 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

I had to do the same thing early on with my daughters Jolei! Also had to some explaining when baby # 3 was on the way.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

It has begun

My oldest had her first period last week. She came home from school, and informed me that she had gotten her period durring gym class...

I had more of a reaction than she did! She said "geeze mom! it's no big deal! " and refused to let me celebrate the event at all! I was so disapointed! LOL!!

I had prepared her well in advance,,,she had all the necessary things....

the period lasted only one day, no cramps or complications. I helped her set up a calendar... and that's that...

Quite anti-climactic. We'll see what the futire brings, but this was a non-event as far as she was concerned. But who knows what she discussed with her friends... Thats' another thread,..huh?
Old 12-15-2002, 12:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

This is a good thread. I got some good ideas from it!

My daughter and I had this talk last year. I found out her school was going to show videos. They let us come to the school and view them.

So we managed to find a beautiful day at the park. My son was there with his friends, and she and I took a walk while waiting for him to finish his party. I told her everything - very matter-of-factly. We talk openly in our home anyway, so it was not too big a deal. I also gave her the books from the kotex and tampax sites.

Later she told me the whole talk was kinda weird. haha But after she saw the videos at the school, she came home and chatted with me about them.

She hasn't started yet (she's almost twelve in 6th grade) but maybe she will this or next year. She'll be ready and know what it is when it comes...unlike me. My mom never told me anything and when I tried to talk about it she shied away...I found out about it from a movie and a book from school. So when it comes I was pretty unprepared, and didn't say anything to my mom and stuff...no wonder we don't talk today about private things. I didn't want my daughter and I to be like that, so I'm really open with her and it will make it easier when things come up in the future. We're much closer than my mom and I are, and I think the openness and discussion is a big reason. Plus lots of kisses and hugs help!
Old 05-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My daughter will be coming up to this soon I would think, but she is ready for it and not in the slightest bit embarassed to talk about it

i think I prepared her by getting pads and tampons for myself and showing her what they are and why I had to use them, now she just talks openly to me about periods and about when she will start, she doesn't even shy away from talking about it in front of the boys or her dad to me.

Take time to recharge your batteries. It's hard to see where you're going when your lights are dim.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:01 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Both of my daughters were brought up to speed, matter-a-fact like. Sticking to a straight-forward method of explaining along with a casual and nonchalant approach, made it simple and easy for me (and for my daughters).
Old 11-29-2013, 10:16 AM
Nine Year Member

My local YWCA holds a Maturity & Me class and I've taken both of my girls when they were 11 yrs old, prior to starting their periods as the class gives the facts of maturity in a humorous and fun way by a Nurse Practitioner. The kids come away with some personal care items and all their questions answered as well.

Roberta