Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

About You Special event in your life? Share your birthdays, anniversaries, new grandbaby announcements, and anything else you would like to share!

Old 05-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Where did you grow up?

Where did you grow up?
Do you still live close by or are you far away?

If the latter do you enjoy going back to visit? If you havn't been back, would you like to?
What are the places you would most like to see?

I grew up in Tacoma WA. I have lived in 8 states and Washington is still my favorite!
We live in California now.
I've been gone from WA for decades but have been blessed to get to go visit every few years.
I have kept in touch with my Tacoma girlfriends all my life, going all the way back to 2nd grade!
In the 70s and 80s we kept in touch thru snail mail and I still have all those letters!
I like to read them when I am in a reminiscing mood.
My last visit to Washington was 2009.

I like going to my old neighborhood, seeing my old house and schools, where we played, Wright park, the library and downtown! And , of course, all my girlfriends!!!

How about you?

hugs, train

Old 08-19-2013, 03:04 PM
One Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I grew up in Calaveras County, CA. Small town, not my style. I never go back. I lived in Emporia, KS for a few years as a child. Loved it! Now I live in Santa Cruz County, near the ocean where I always dreamed of living growing up. I got married here & love raising my child here! I guess some dreams do come true!
Old 08-19-2013, 04:54 PM
One Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

small towns can be very charming
Old 08-22-2013, 07:21 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I grew up and still live in the same town in Minnesota. Not a town I really care for but there are a lot worse. At least we have low crime and good schools. There isn't much for shopping, in the line of clothing stores or family style restaurants. A population of about 14000, so it's not real big or small. Just boring. hehe Not that I am a socialite by any means, but unless you are into sports, which we are not, there isn't much to do for adults or kids. I like the state because of the changing seasons. If I had summer all year round, I would not be at all happy and if I had to shovel all year round I wouldn't be happy either. Fall is a very beautiful season in our state, with all the changing colors it is breath taking in some areas.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I was born in Kosciusko, where I live now. But, I grew up from Camden, Alabama to the entire state of Mississippi. My daddy was a highway patrolman and we moved around a lot. Then he became a PSC man and we still moved around a good bit. Finally we settled in a very small community called Edgefield. The nearest town of 350 people was McCool, Mississippi. LOL Anyway, I couldn't wait to get away from there! Now I would like to live somewhere out of the city limits but not too far.
Hugs, Paula

http://summdaysummway.blogspot.com
Old 08-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We moved a lot but mostly ended somewhere in western PA. Once in Ohio.
Most of the places I lived are 50 miles or less from us. We go for rides and check out the changes. The old homestead where my grandparents lived sure looks a lot smaller than I remember as a child.LOL
Old 09-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Assistant Moderator

The place I grew up from 3rd grade to 6th grade NOT counting my 4th grade year is in a area that is now a hiways, so I can't go back to visit.
It was about 2 hrs away from where I grew up in the 4th grade during the time I lived with my grandmother before returning back home in the 5th grade.
The place I lived in back when I was in the 4th grade finally got tored down, but I did take my beloved husband to visit the place and the house I lived in during the time I lived with my grandmother. The next to the last time I visit as we drove by the old house the person was outside , and they allow us to go in to visit it. It was a nice warm fuzzy feeling. I hate it when I learned later it was torned down when I took my daughter by it. In fact the town is almost a ghost town now, so very few lives there. I've not been to that area in about 15 yrs now if not longer.

From 6th grade thur my 11th grade is now in a area where two little area grew together to become a larger area and not just the edge of a countryside area. I went to school about 30 minutes away and both of these areas are not far from where I live now. I guess I live about 30 min from the school and about 45 min from the house I grew up in.

Then in my 11th and 12th grade years I live about 20 min from that area, and the church I go to is very close to that area.

I have driven by more than once to see the old homeplace of my 11th and 12th grade years, as it was where my parents remain till their death.

There not much to see since so much as changed from my childhood but I like to reflect on the memories and reflect how much change I've done over the many years since that time.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Nine Year Member

I grew up in the military. We move around quite a bit. I was born in Ft Bragg, NC, we lived there until I was 8. We moved to West Germany and lived in Nurnberg, Hanua and Weisbaden. We lived for 6 months in Salina & Ft Riley, KS.

I have the traveler fever at times, but for now NW Tennessee has been home for the last 15 years. DH wants to make one more move, but we shall see after DS graduates from High School.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Nine Year Member

I was born and raised in Broward County, FL-after getting married my dh and I went to TX while he was in the AF-mostly in San Antonio; then we moved back to FL-ending up back in Broward County for almost 15 years and then we moved to NC where we are today.
I would like to go back and visit friends I still have there and check out all the changes that have taken place-wouldn't want to stay long though.. I'd mainly like to go back to FL to Disney World.. I could stay there for a loooooonnnnngggg time..
Old 09-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Like Train, I was born in Washington state - Seattle, but spent the next 11 years and 7 months in Bremerton. I spent the next 28 years living in 4 different states, and returned to a small town across the bay from my childhood town (reader's know that town as Cedar Cove, aka Port Orchard) for almost 5 years. Now I live on completely on the other-side of the country, about as far away from my home town as I have ever been, and although I am not pleased about where I am at, I am pleased about the "roots" we are trying to establish here (for however long is necessary).
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins