Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

About You Special event in your life? Share your birthdays, anniversaries, new grandbaby announcements, and anything else you would like to share!

Old 02-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Letís reminisce about childhood

What are some of your favorite childhood memories? Letís reminisce. What do you miss most about childhood? What do you no longer see children doing that you did as a child? What do you see children doing now that you wished were around when you were little? What were some of the favorite candies of your childhood? What were some of your favorite TV programs? Did you like the smell of Crayons? Did you smear Elmerís glue and peel if off your hand? Did you play ball and jacks?
Old 03-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

OK, I'll start!

I grew up in Tacoma washington in the 1960s. I have the most wonderful child hood memories! I am so thankful I grew up when I did, when it was still safe to play outside from sunup to sundown, and, in the summertime, that is exactly what we did!
.....Playing barbies under the cherry trees, reading Archie comic books, swimming at Wrights park, koolaid slaes at the grasshopper patch, twirling my baton with the Tacoma Starlighters in the Daffodil parades, riding our bikes to the library....and not having to lock them up, making Halloween decorations out of orange and black construction paper, trick or treating for miles, family camping trips at Dash point State Park, Camp Fire Girls camp at Camp Wakoma, the March of Dimes walkathon, hamburgers from Frisco Freeze, 4 square, hopscotch and jumping rope in the alley and cooking in my Easy bake oven! What simple times those days were.

What I miss most is there were no worries in childhhood and how summer vacation lasted FOREVER it seemed!

What I no longer see are children playing outside. The times and technology have changed all that.

My favorite candy when I was little was fun dips and pixie sticks!!!

Fav TV shows were Saturday cartoons, that was about the only time I wasnt outside playing! Flintstones....Bullwinkle.....casper the friendly Ghost...
After school I liked Family Affair and The Brady Bunch.

OK, who is next??!!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

....and ever notice that when you go back to visit your childhood home that the home has shrank!!!!!!!!! HAHAHA!!!

I lived in this GREAT BIG HOUSE in Tacoma but when I went back to visit it saw MUCH SMALLER then I remembererd!!!!!

hugs, train
Old 09-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Tongue Childhood Memories

When I was growing up around Canton, PA. we lived next door to 2 sets of cousins, and I remember playing outside in the summertime all day long, and always having my cousins as playmates. We would always congregate at one another's houses, and would play games, ride bikes, and play inside if it was raining, but it seemed like we never wanted for playmates...we always had our cousins!!! we would go home around dinnertime, and after eating, my sister and I and the one set of 2 girl cousins would always race to see who would get the supper dishes done first. What our poor mothers must have thought, being pressured to get dinner on the table, so us girls could race to see who would be the winner that night...haha.

As we became teenagers, our thoughts shifted to the "boy bands" or "heart throbs" of our time, like Elvis, The Beatles, The Monkees, The Beach Boys, The Mamas and Papas,The Jackson 5, just to name a few. We would get teen magazines and cut out pictures of our cuties, and tape them to our walls.

My favorite shows at that time were: American Bandstand, with Dick Clark, The Archies, Roadrunner and Coyote Cartoons, along with Bugs Bunny, Fat Albert, Hee Haw, and alot of others that I can't think of right now.

I'm wishing that we had computers back then, as it would have made our lives alot easier, especially back in our high school days. Kids nowadays can use calculators in class for Math...we always had to figure our math problems in our heads!

Every time I go by my child hood home when I go to visit my parents, I always see the tree that I used to always climb when I was a kid...that tree brings back alot of happy childhood memories, and a great time of reminicing.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:23 AM
Forum Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I remember playing in the rain and catching tadpoles in the ditches we stayed outside from sun up to sundown and got out at night and caught fireflies put them in jarsnever had to worry about bad people went and stayed at my gmas in the summer and learned how to sew and how to cook and knew right from wrong went trick or treat for miles and miles and the candy was good no bad stuff
Old 10-31-2013, 04:04 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

LOL! I remember playing with Elmer's Glue! You had to apply it thinly, then allow it to dry thoroughly for best results, but the drama of peeling off the dried layer of glue skin in front of someone who was impervious to the trick, was always priceless!

How about forgetting about time frolicking in oversized piles of Autumn leaves? And swinging as high as you could thinking that you could reach the sky? Then, when you reached the desired altitude, you'd close you eyes and as you swung backwards, your stomach got tickles in it!

Remember how long it used to take you to run from one end of your yard to the other? I remember it taking forever... and walking to the end of the block and back, was like going on a full-day expedition.

Candy Cigarettes, topped my candy favourites, as did Red Hots and Lick-em-Aid Sticks! I also remember spending Saturday and Sunday mornings watching cartoons with siblings... and to this day remember the Schoolhouse Rock skit, "conjunction- junction, what's your function"...

I also remember getting caught (at the beach) for the first time when it started to rain, and running into the water for a swim, because being in the water was warmer and more comfortable than getting rained on, and having the bragging rights of having swam in the rain, catapulted you into the stratosphere among your peers who hadn't.

And... to go along with early morning (weekend) cartoon watching, coffee table tents! Somehow the whole experience just wasn't as exciting unless you used the quilt or blanket off your bed to make a little house for yourself under the coffee table... and the room had to be dark! Scooby-Doo, was one of my favourites! Gilligan's Island, too!

Anyone else remember walking to and from school and stepping on (to crack) every single frozen puddle of water along the way? How about plucking that special (and big) icicle from a roof corner, and sucking on it for what seemed like eternity? Icicles where the best tasting (free) frozen treat ever!

And so many more...