Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

About You Special event in your life? Share your birthdays, anniversaries, new grandbaby announcements, and anything else you would like to share!

Old 09-16-2009, 04:01 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

How Many Friends?

I was thinking about how many friends I had and how many of them are from the Internet and how many I met face-to-face. I am wondering, I many close friends, people with whom you'd tell your secrets and passions with, do you have that you met on the Internet and how many do you have that you met face-to-face? How long have you known them?
Old 09-16-2009, 05:14 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

I have never met any one personally that I met thru the internet. I tell the people here more about my life then my own family.

Charlotte
Old 09-16-2009, 06:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have many online friends and have been very fortunate to meet some of them....our very dear friend Margaret who is no longer with us I had the pleasure of meeting with my family.....She was as sweet in person as she was here. I have also met Sueanne along with her hubby, her sister and her mom. Sueanne is a really amazing lady...I loved the time with her.....I was so blessed to meet her mom...I have many special memories of her in that short visit and can see why Sueanne and her were so close. I would love to go back.
I also met two other very special gals from here in NY....Val and Nancy....what a blast both of them are....I could see myself spending a lot more time with either of them......I did not want to say goodbye

Meeting all these friends was just like that meeting friends...I did not feel awkard I was so excited to finally give them a hug and interact with each other in person....

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 09-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Assistant Moderator

I have met a couple of people from my forums over the years and will meet another after christmas and a couple form the US that I've phoned.

The first one I met was in my state but 7hrs drive north she came down to her parents place 90 mins from us so we arranged to meet at a small theme park, we all, kids included, got on like a house on fire and chat all the time now.
We did go up to stay at her house a few years back for 4 days and she showed us the area we moved on to another area and went home later.

I have met one of the US based ladies (she was on a forum I was on but shared with the other lady I'd met) that was on the same forum, she was not close but was good to meet her with a few other ladies.

I have met an Indiannas penpal nephew, that was a bit weird cause I didn't know them only his aunt, The couple stopped in my place for an hour or so on their travels south along the east coast.

I was going to meet megray but that did not eventuate due to changed circumstances.

I was very wary to meet online people but once you get chatting you realise it's like you've known them for ages. Take friend and meet in a crouded place fi you're worried.

There is no one but my hubby I tell all my worries and problems to, but there are varying degrees of my problems I tell others esp if I want to share the excitement or want opinions and sometimes only another female can help.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have only "1" true friend . . . she knows EVERYTHING about me . . . and go figure, we are still friends. I have several "other" friends, either becasue of work, church, etc.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have met many people from online, that became great friends. Even my husband. Yep. I met him online. We will be married 9 years in December :-)
The friends I have never met from online mean as much to me as those around me. They are there for me in many ways. They give me love, friendship and someone to talk to. One of my mother's groups, we have been together 11years. It started as a group of mothers who children were going off to college. Oh how they helped me when I would cry two or three times a day empty nesting !
Online world, as you can see, for me, is a grand place.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have been blessed to meet several dear friends from Family Corner.

I met Roisindubh (Carolyn)who has since passed away.
I was there with her andher husband, Jamus when God called her up to heaven.
That totally broke my heart.
With me there was Sandansmom, another sweet, sweet freckled face family corner friend whom I love!!!! Though we met at a sad time, it was still a blessing.. My mom was there too and between all uf us, Jamus was able to reminsice and tell lots of stories on Carolyn. Both Sandansmom (Laura) and I have remained friends with Jamus. She and her husband personally since they live in the same state and me by email. Mark does the phone calls to him.....
If there were ever two people so in love it was Jamus and Carolyn.

I also met two FC friends from Northern California, Apricot and Ljhlinda, both very sweet.
Laura (apricot) is shy and quiet like I me. Linda was the more talkative one and kept us talking and giggling!

Had my train not been ridiculously late, I would have met DeBora. I regretted missing her but I know we will meet someday.

And then there is my dear sweet FC friend Barbar!
I met her 5 or so years ago when I showed up on her doorstep as a surprise!!!
Neither os us will ever forget that day and how her dear husband
(who has also since passed away)
said, it must be someone from Family corner the way she is squealing!!!!!
I also got to see her, John, her daughter and grandkids a second time when my train went thru Fort Worth.

For me, as far as who could I talk to about absolutely anything, I think that person would be Barbar IF we lived closer.
We do not talk on the phone hardly ever because I despise the phone. I rarely talk on the phone at all.
Wouldn't have one at all except for you need one for emergencies. But IF we were neighbors, I think she would be the one I could most easily talk to..

I used to have that with my old friend Eileen. I used to miss her horribly. Now I just miss what used to be but not her personally.
I know I am going to be an absolute mess when she dies.

train

Last edited by trainlady; 09-20-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have a handful of close friends, the ones I trust my life with - I have known them a little over 20 years now, and even though we do not live close (as in the same state, let alone street), I know that if anything ever were to happened to anyone of us the other would be there in a heart beat to help out - even with a tight economy.

Similar to trainlady (Donna) I have a friend who I will miss so much when she passes, but not the person she has become. In school she was a Betty Rizzo / Frenchy (mix) and I was Sandy Olsson / Marty Maraschino (mix) - but that was the 80's and we were kids back then...

I've met probably close to a hundred people over the internet and can share my secrets in trust with about three of them - I have known two of them for just a little over ten years, and the third one, whom I've met, I'm not certain because it seems like I have known this person all my life, but know s/he and I haven't met on line until about the mid 2000's... so I guess anywhere from 1 - 5 years.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 09-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Assistant Moderator

I am closer to people I met online than ones I met in person. Strange isn't it? I think it is because I am so quirky and I look for other quirky friends! I live in a small area so I have to hunt for my fellow quirkies. Hum... is that a word?

My neighbor and I are very close. She is 76. I will be such a mess when she goes to heaven. I can not think of life without her.

Like Train I have had a few Eileens in my life. I have a friend who I am needing to distance myself from. It is hard, we have been friends for almost ten years.

I am so thankful for the 'net so I can met so many wonderful people!!
Old 09-25-2009, 05:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

While I have not actually met any of the FC online friends I hold dear to me, I have talked with some on the phone. I never give up hope that someday some of us can meet!

FC is the only site that I feel so compelled to stay true to. There is an amazing group of women here~~and I love sharing everything from what I am making for dinner, to praying for someone, or being a Secret Sister, etc.

Although we haven't met in person, several of us are very close via email contact. I treasure the sharing that goes on between us. From personal thoughts to fun things~~it doesn't matter. Just because they took a minute to share means a lot to me.

The person I share the most with is my dh. I swear, I can tell that man anything! After all these decades, he hasn't run off screaming yet. Doesn't mean he might not want to....LOL ;-)

You miss 100% of the opportunities you don't take.