View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I looooove Mexican food, both Mex and Tex-Mex. Growing up in Texas, depending on where you go, you'll get a lot of both!

One of my favorite weekend breakfasts is Chilaquiles. There are many recipes, some which include refried beans or sausage, but what I do is:

1. Break up some corn tortilla chips onto my plate
2. Sprinkle a little shredded cheese and salsa over the chips
3. Fry two eggs and place them on top of the chips, salsa and cheese (I fry them over medium so the whites are cooked and the yolk runs through the other stuff... yummy)
4. Top the eggs with just a little more broken chips, salsa, and cheese, and dig in!

Quesadillas are a frequent quick dinner in my house because you can fill them with anything: cheese, chicken, veggies, taco meat, leftover brisket, whatever. I even make dessert quesadillas for the kids sometimes! Just place your tortilla into the hot frying pan, and sprinkle half of it with baking chips- chocolate, white chocolate, butterscotch, whatever- then fold over the empty half and press down just a tad with your spatula so the sides "glue" together. Flip over once or twice so that both sides are golden brown and the chips are melted, and you'll have happy kids!

My older son is a big avocado fan, and he loves to help me make guacamole. De-seed the avocados and mash them; stir in some diced onions, tomatoes, garlic, and cilantro; squeeze a few lemon or lime drops in; salt and pepper to taste; and stir it all together.