View Single Post
Old 04-21-2002, 04:50 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We can live on that pretty easily if we do the following....

I make breakfasts (including the bread for toasts...no frozen preservative breakfasts, sugar filled cereals or psuedo-nutritional breakfast bars).

I pack lunches (sandwich, chips, fruit/veggies, waters, a soda...can't get my dh to give them up!...homemade cookies

I include a snack in the packed lunch like string cheese, or a soy protein bar (find the one with the fewest grams of sugar).

I make dinner.

We splurge on blended iced mochas and bagels 2 to 3x a week ($20-30).

We have basically given up fast food and don't miss it at all. We also don't miss waiting for 45+ minutes just to get a seat at a restaurant,and we are eating much healthlier.

I do have to make out a weekly menu and corresponding grocery list. We have had to learn to eat left-overs and plain meals sometimes. And I have become much better at coming up with my own quick dinner ideas with what I have in the fridge and cupboard.

I don't use coupons because we were paying more for the paper)fn we were saving with the coupons. Why don't they ever make coupons for REAL food? You never see coupons for produce (here anyway!)

We used to save a lot of money buying all of our meat, drinks, cheese, etc. at Costco or Sam's Club once a month. That really helped to keep the weekly bills down as we were only buying perishables as needed. Now however, we buy all of our meat, dairy, and much of our produce at Trader Joe's where it is all hormone and preservative free and most things are organic as well.

For date night we try to go to a matinee instead of at night, as it is half the price for the same movie and then we can make it home in time to either make dinner, or sometimes we can make it out before the crowds and in time for an early bird special. We don't eat out much though, and we try to stay away from the snacks at the movies too!

That's about all I can think of right now. It has worked out well for us and we are on the way to becoming debt free and nuch healthier!