View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 04:11 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

My DS has Tourette's Syndrome (TS), now called Tourette's Disorder. You can get a lot of helpful information from the Tourette's Syndrome Association (TSA). I used to be the representative for my area when my DS was young. If affects more boys than girls and the average age of onset is 6-7 years. However, it has been seen in children as early as 2 years of age. The criteria to be diagnosed is:

1) There has to be BOTH vocal and motor tics present at the same time. I noticed the difference in Tourette's and other tic disorders is that there are many tics that come from the torso.

2) The tics occur many time a day (usually in bouts) nearly every day for a period of MORE THAN ONE YEAR, and during this period of time, there was never a tic free period of more than 3 consecutive months.

3) The onset is before the age of 18 years.

4) The disturbance is not due to the direct physicological effects of a substance or a general medical condition.

The copropalia (repeating with others say, including bad words) and copropraxia (repeating what others do, including bad gestures) are seen in some TS patients. It is considered rare. My DS went through that at about age 10.

With that being said
, remember that your DS must have the symptoms for at least a year to get the diagnosis. It is quite uncommon for a child of the age of 2 to start exibiting the symptoms--but not impossible. I would watch him for awhile. If it is a phase, then the best thing to do is ignore the unwanted behavior. If it is a phase to get attention, then paying attention to it will only cause them to increase. After a few months, if he has TS, you will notice that the symptoms, they will wax and wane. For example, a tic of dragging the toe and coughing will last for awhile and then might be replaced with a "squeek" and a arm-jerking tic. That, of course, is just an example. If this not TS, the behavior will stay the same. After a period of ignoring, he will stop.

The main thing at this point, and keep him away from those people who swear. Children at age of 2, whether or not they have TS don't swear unless they've heard the word. If he is away from the language, he should stop or be reduced in saying those words.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I have worked with psychologists, ministers, teachers, parents, doctors, and so on. My DS stood up in church once and told everone that I had a P****! lol It was NOT funny at the time because this was before I had teens and wasn't desensitised to this type of language. Let me know if the TSA Web site is of any help. They used to list doctors in your area who specialize in TS, they have videos, and they are working on a cure for TS.

Good luck!