Thread: Cat Behavior
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Sad face Cat Behavior

I think we should also have a topic for cat behavior just like the Dog topic. I am a Huge animal lover, But when it comes between dogs and cats, I lean more towards the felines. Anyway, On New Years Day-January 1st, One of my cats attacked me. A very timid, skiddish cat whom did NOT come from a shelter, the streets or anyone else's home. I have his mother and Max was from her litter. No one wanted to adopt him even though he was the prettiest out of all of the kittens she had. All of my cats are treated the same way, not much of a difference except for the evening at bedtime i would put Valentine (his father in my room with me due to aggressive behavior towards his father.) Well this was not the first time he attacked me, but this was worse and more vicious. If it wasn't for the other two cats attacking him to get him off of me, i have no idea how much more damage would have been done. I ended up going to the emergency room, bleeding on my left leg in several areas and my hand which was the most blood from him getting one of my veins due to trying to get him off of me. I was in fear in my own home for a few days, having problems sleeping even though i had my door closed, i was going to call a Vet to bring him in to see what they would tell me. But he attempted to do it again, my heart started racing, hands shaking, ran into my son's room and closed the door, stayed in there until someone came to the house. Though i stayed in that room until he was caught and placed into a carrier. The vet didn't have anything available until the following day so i decided to bring him into manhattan to the animal medical center. I already knew what i was going to do, though i was also looking for answers on why he was this way. He was sooo skiddish and any little noise made him go nuts. The first time he attacked me all i did was go into my room for something, removed a large bag and he leaped at me. The second time (which brought me to the hopsital) i was leaving the room to get the phone in the other room and accidently stepped on his mother, not hard, But enough she yelped. I checked on her and she was fine. when i came back into the room just about to sit down he viciously attacked me, non stop, i was screaming, yelling, trying to push him off and nothing..until the other cats jumped in. This is when i was able to get away and ran into my son's room to wake him up to tell him i needed to go to the emergency room. Blood dripping throughout the house, my son was panicking, freaking out. At the hospital they thought a dog attacked me.I was a wreck, not knowing what to do, what they would tell me, scared of being in my own home (apt). Then the last time of another attempt, and all i was doing was going into my room and getting a pair of scissors, i fumbled over a book, wasn't even too loud of a noise. The vet at the hospital told me it sounds like he had some sort of mental disorder, which can happen with cats just like dogs. I was a wreck..crying hysterically from my nerves being shot, from knowing i was going to be making a decision on putting him to sleep. I had him since he was born, he was part of our family. After they put him to sleep i spent a bit of time with him to say my goodbyes. It was killing me inside. But i knew there was nothing else i could do. An animal that is that aggressive no one would want or can even trust.
Has anyone else come across a situation like this? Hugs, Melinda