View Single Post
Old 01-09-2003, 01:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Day Trips From All Over

Basketball Hall of Fame

Sports fans of all ages love this participatory hall-of-fame/museum. It celebrates the history of basketball, which was invented in Springfield in 1891, and explores the world-wide impact of basketball in a number of creative ways. There are many fun-filled interactive activities.

This museum offers three floors of really well designed exhibits and totally engaging interactive games. This slightly uncoordinated momazon has not has so much sports fun in years! My kids love this trip. We followed it up with a trip to Red Rose Pizzeria for some top-rate grub! The drive time from Boston is only about 75 minutes, and is what I consider to be quite manageable.

Cost
Adults: $9.00
Seniors: $7.00
Youth (7-14): $5.00
Child: Free with parent

age-level
all ages.

other helpful information

hours: daily, 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
July 1 - Labor Day: Mon.-Sat., 9 a.m.-7 p.m.
Sun., 9:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
The Hall of Fame is closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day.

diaper-changing facilities: no

****Where is it ****

1150 West Columbus Ave
Springfield, MA 01105
(413) 781-6500

free, off-street parking

KidCity Childrens Museum

KidCity is a two-story house that has been converted into a multi-activity center for kids. The room you walk into when entering has a pirate ship cutting right through it, with working parts, costumes, lower level and a crows nest with a view into one of the 2nd floor rooms. There are other "theme" rooms such as a music room (with a slide, bridge, see saw and bellows-driven train whistle; a grocery/restaurant room; a quiet reading room (with books); and a young children's farm room. There is also a craft room where kids can create a piece of artwork from various media to take home.

My kids love it there, and spend hours having wholesome, imaginative, interactive play, and tons of fun. It's very inexpensive; approximately $4-5 per child, and $1 per adult. It does get very crowded during school vacations. We usually go after lunch, and it's not too bad. It's a great experience for all!

Cost
Children (1 - 10): $5
Children under 1: free
Adults: $2

other helpful information

hours: Sunday - Tuesday 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Wednesday - Saturday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

where is it

119 Washington Street
Middletown, CT 06457
(860) 347-0495

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!