View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 10:04 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pregnant with one and only..........

Hi all ~

I'm kind of new but I'm not. I've been more of a lurker than a poster. I thought that I would post and see if I could get some insight.

DH and I after 15 years of marriage are expecting our first baby and only baby in December. We have been through a lot in the last 5 months and can finally enjoy this pregnancy (I hope). Oh, we didn't have complications due to the pregnancy, to make a long story short, my OB found a solid mass on my one and only ovary and I had to have surgery to remove it at 19 weeks pregnant. Well, baby survived surgery but ovary did not, so we will be a one child family once our little peanut arrives.

What I was wondering is if there are any of you out there that are parents of only one child either by choice or not by choice? How did your or are your children doing? Our child won't have any cousins close in age (18 or older) to play with. Are they happy? I have one niece that is an only child and she lived a VERY sheltered life, but really didn't turn out bad, she is actually a very nice young lady. She is 19 now and living on her own and doing very well. I have never heard her say anything about wanting or wishing she had siblings.

I'm having a very hard time with the fact that I can't have another biological baby, but I am truely thankful that our baby survived the surgery as I was at risk of going into preterm labor with the surgery. I haven't pin pointed just why I'm having a hard time with this fact (no more kids) but when I'm by myself, my mind goes into overdrive and I find it hard to enjoy and concentrate on our little peanut. Now that all of the medical issues of mine are over (keeping fingers crossed) I absolutely love being preggers and would enjoy it that much more if I could concentrate on it instead of the future.

Well, I don't want to keep going on and on about this but I sure would like to hear from others out there that are parents of only children............Thank you all in advance.

April