Old 01-06-2003, 04:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Stargazers Stew recipe

Savory Squash Stew

1 small butternut squash
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 can (16 ounces) whole tomatoes (with juice)
1/2 cup water
8 ounces kale
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil

With a sharp knife, pierce the squash in 3 or 4 places. Microwave on high power, turning once, for 2 to 3 minutes, or just until the squash starts to soften under the skin. (To test, press with your thumb.) Carefully cut the squash into quarters. Scoop out and discard the seeds. Cut off and discard the peel. Cut the squash into one-inch chunks.

In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the garlic and cook for 20 seconds, or until fragrant. Add the squash, tomatoes (with juice), and water.

Cover and reduce the heat to medium low. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the squash is tender but not mushy. Test for doneness by inserting the tip of a sharp knife in a piece of squash. Add more water if necessary to keep the squash from sticking. With the back of a large spoon, break the tomatoes into smaller pieces.

Rinse the kale and strip the leaves from the stems. Coarsely chop the leaves and add to the saucepan. Add the sage and basil. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the kale softens. Serves 4.

My substitutions:

*I didn't have kale, so I substituted sliced cabbage.
*Also this original recipe calls for no salt. However I added about 1/2 - 3/4 tsp salt - otherwise my dh would complain! I'd gladly eat it without salt. It was flavorful enough without it.
*I HATE whole tomatos (GAG!) so I got those diced ones (it already had basil and garlic in there too) and they were tons better and looked nice too.
*I didn't microwave the squash. It was easy enough to chop and cook as is. It just took about 5 minutes longer to cook than in the recipe though.

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member