View Single Post
Old 07-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Barb, I totally agree with you! In elementary and even junior high, I don't think it is wise. However, in high school, I personally believe that children should be learning to make decisions and suffer the consequences of those choices, while they still live at home with loving parents to work with them. If anyone has a library be sure to check out, "Raising Self Reliant Children in a Self Indulgent World." It really helped me to stop reminding my kids not to forget their coats, their lunch, and so on. My kids learned to grab their coat or else they would freeze as I would not bring it to them later. Same rules applied for lunch. I was hard to watch them suffer for the 1 day, but the long-term reward was worth it. They started thinking for themselves. In my DDs junior and senior in high school, I allowed her to choose her bedtime, even if it was 2am. However, the rule was that she could stay up as late as she wanted as long as she stayed on the honor roll and she didn't complain in the mornings. At first, she stayed up til the wee hours of the morning. But, she soon started going to bed at a much more decent hour. She kept her grades up too. She chose to alter the bedtime as she really enjoyed the freedom.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!