View Single Post
Old 11-06-2002, 03:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Guy Fawkes/Bonfire NIght

Hello Ladies,

Last night was Bonfire Night or Guy Fawkes. It's celebrated every year on November 5th to commemorate the discovery of a plot to blow up the King (James 1) and his parliament on Nov. 5, 1605. Guy Fawkes and seven others were captured and executed. To celebrate there are big bonfires with the burning of "guys" (effigies) and fireworks.

All up and down the country, there are big firework displays. The town I live in has a big display and this year it was on Sunday, Nov. 3rd. They burn a guy on a huge bonfire too. It's a rather bizarre custom I think, in fact, I think that's positively macabre!

Fireworks are sold everywhere here so a lot of people do their own shows in their backyards. It gets pretty noisy at this time of year as you can imagine. They start a few weeks before Nov. 5th and unfortunately it will continue for a few weeks after as well. I can't wait for some peaceful evenings.

I like fireworks but not all the time! Also, I guess I'm a spoiled American because I prefer fireworks in the summer.

The bonfires are a nuisance as well and not exactly healthy. There can be a lot of smoke from all the bonfires people have in their backyards. Some years, it's so bad that people with asthma and breathing problems have to stay indoors.

It's raining hard today so thankfully, there won't be any bonfires. Wow! I'm happy because it's raining!

It's still very mild here. Temps in upper 50s everyday. We don't need the heat on and we don't need to wear hats and gloves yet.

Bye for now. Take care.