View Single Post
Old 02-08-2002, 08:22 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi everyone,
I am new here but love the topic. I inherited my canning stuff when my parents divorced (at least something good came from the divorce!). I have purchased several books on the subject which definately help. My favorite is "The Busy Person's Guide to Preserving Food" by Janet Chadwick. It not only discusses canning, but also freezing, drying, etc. Very easy to understand. Also a good reference is "Putting Food By" by Janet Greene, Ruth Hertzberg, and Beatrice Vaughan. My favorite relish recipe came from "Pickles & Relishes" by Andrea Chesman. My favorite salsa recipe came from a friend at work. I HAVE to can my salsa in quarts...pints just go too quickly! My friends at work always talk me into bringing salsa and they bring the chips! I basically plant a "salsa garden" ---tomatoes, parsley, peppers ---but I can't get onions to grow Maybe I'll try again this year. But growing the food and then canning it is doubly satisfying:p I would really like to get a pressure canner, but have heard horror stories and they make me nervous. I have heard if you have the seal checked every year they are okay, that the problems happen with dry rotted seals. Maybe I'll be brave this year. Or I'll just put up my beans and such with my new Foodsaver (a vacuum and seal machine).