View Single Post
Old 07-18-2002, 11:41 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

$20 grocery budget

I have three kids and that need stuff! Sometimes that means taking money out of the food budget to buy other things.

These are some things I do to stretch a dollar:

1. Quesadillas, cheese and flour tortillas, my kids love these with just cheese. I make them with left over ham, chicken, ground beef, steak.

2. Mexican Rice, served with the quesadillas, enchilladas, etc. One cup rice, slice or chopped onion (1/4 cup), brown rice in oil, add 1/2 can tomatoe sauce, 1 cube chix bouillion, and 3 cups of water.

3. Cheese Enchilladas, corn tortillas, can of enchillada sauce, cheese, and oil. Put oil in pan, put tortillas in one at a time to soften, dip in enchillada sauce to coat both sides, put cheese in the middle roll up and stack in baking dish. You can also add chicken or ground beef, salsa for veggie enchilladas. Top with cheese or salsa while still hot.

4. Tacos, brown ground beef, serve on corn or flour tortillas, with lettuce and tomatoe, you can also add salsa, corn, cheese, sour cream if you have some.

5. Canned/frozen ham, one ham can be used for many meals: sandwiches, omeletts, mac & cheese with ham, ham & noodle casserole, ham with mashed potatos and gravy...