View Single Post
Old 09-20-2002, 07:20 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I got this recipe out of a "church cookbook" that dh's grandma had--it was about 50 tears old lol!! I'll type the original, but instead of mixing by hand, I put it in the bread machine on the Dough cycle. To make sub buns, I make long ovals instead of circles. It's really very easy.

Hamburger Buns

8 c. sifted all-purpose flour(I use 1/2 whole wheat)
2 pkgs active dry yeast(grams crossed out the cake yeast and added this)
2 c. warm water
3/4 c. cooking oil(I use canola)
1/2 c. sugar
1 Tbs. salt
3 eggs

In large mixer bowl, combine 4 cups of the flour and the yeast. Combine water, oil, sugar and salt; add to dry mixture in bowl. Add eggs. Beat at low spped of electric mixer for 1/2 minute, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat 3 minutes at high speed. By hand, stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn out on lightly floured surface; knead until smooth. Place in greased bowl, turning once to coat surface. Cover; let rise until double, about 1 hour. Punch down; divide dough into 3 portions. Cover and let rest 5 minutes. Divide each portion into 8 balls. Turn ball in hand, folding edges down to make even circle. Press ball flat between hands. Place on greased baking sheet--press to 3 1/2 inch circle. Let rise until double, about 30 minutes. Bake in 375 degree oven for 10 minutes. Brush tops with melted butter, if desired. Remove from baking shhets, cool. Makes 2 dozen buns.