View Single Post
Old 10-16-2002, 06:37 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb more storage ideas

Last fall I discovered the best storage boxes ever made, and they were about 55 cents each. Our area discount stores and office supply stores offer plastic pencil boxes as a loss leader (a steal of a deal that gets people in the store)...their logic is: "most people buy just one." Well, I go in and buy twenty at a time. They are stackable, smaller than the plastic shoeboxes, and they're hinged, so when DH or the kids get into them they don't lose the covers (a real plus for me!)

This spring my DH brought home very nice round "screw together" storage containers for his fish hooks. They also were a loss leader at our sporting goods store. They were perfect for my beads, safety pins, sequins, etc. And they were under $1.00 for a set of five.

I also have saved many baby wipe containers, and the local nursing home was willing to save them for me, too. Plus, being a frequent shopper at the fabric store I have discovered that they will save the plastic lace spools, so I have all my lace stored just as it would be at the store. I also keep my fabric in the plastic zipper bags that my comforters came in. And clear plastic shoebags (the kind that hold twenty pair) are tacked up on the inside of all the doors.

Since I have organized my craft area I have completed twice as many projects and saved quite a bit of money by not running out and buying something that I already own. I love the feeling of using something up that has been laying around for a while (try 10 years!) AND, I have discovered that it is now easier to grab a project off the shelves and take it with me when I know that I have a long wait at the MD or when we have a long car ride.