View Single Post
Old 10-10-2002, 02:07 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb Make Gel Air Fresheners in your jars

Hi everyone--first want to say I feel like I've finally come "home" now that I have found this forum. Wow!! Talk about some GREAT ideas--thanx all!;-) DH has been grumping about me "needing to do something or get rid of the jars I've got floating around"....so, guess what his next grump will be.....
Anyway, I've found a website recently that has a bunch of neat ideas--it's at www.makestuff.com and it had this "recipe" on it to make Gel Air Fresheners--NOT candles.

1 cup concentrated liquid potpourri (dollar store is great)
2 envelopes Knox unflavored gelatin
2 Tablespoons salt (inhibits moldy growth)

Heat potpourri to almost boil. Remove from heat and stir in Knox gelatin until dissolved. Pour into jar. Cover with plastic wrap and put a rubber band around neck. Can put into refrigerator for fast set or leave out on counter overnight. Cut circle of lace and place over top of jar with ribbon around it. Remove plastic wrap and recover with lace to use.

Note the "recipe" makes 8 ounces of gel--can double for larger jars, but I don't make batches any bigger at a time than that. Also, please be careful to not let it boil--splatters are fun to get off the walls, etc.

These look really pretty in just a plain jar, can't wait to do some painted ones to put it into. I also use "thrift store" find stem glassware, etc for these. HAVE FUN!