View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

You may have to explain to your DS that some ppl don't feel good about themselves and in order to make themselves feel better, they must make others feel bad. The easiet person to make feel bad is someone who is different than that person.

Also, and probably the most important, is that children are so honest. I remember a lady that my grandparent knew and I ended up getting to know very well had a huge nose. My brother and I were about 10 and 12 years old, give or take. My sister was 2-3 years old. My grandmother took us to the store to get groceries. My sister said to this lady, "You sure do have a big nose." My brother and I nearly lost it with laughter! My sister didn't mean anything by it. Anyway, children are going to notice everything, especially things that are different. Your DS may just need to know that other children may be afraid of him because he is different and that is okay. Once they get to know him, they will forget about the color of his skin.

We all have to deal with the prejudices of others and your DS will have more to deal with since he appears different than his sibling.

One more thing, have you thought about looking up some stories of famous ppl who were black and how they overcame their stuggles? George Washington and Frederick Douglass (my fave) come to my mind. These men overcame the worst anyone can imagine and because the best! Douglass lived during a time when it was illegal to teach a black person to read. He was extremely well-read. If these men can excel in difficult situations, anyone can. There may even be children's books on this subject as well. Good luck!