View Single Post
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2006, 05:39 AM
DeBora4BobbyL's Avatar
DeBora4BobbyL DeBora4BobbyL is offline
Welcome Wagon Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 16,010
First, I want to welcome you to FC Shannon. If you get a chance, pop in to the Introduce yourself thread so that others can meet you.

Unfortunately, only your DH and his ex have any rights to this child, no matter how mentally unhealthy the mother is. Many children have to pull more than their share of the weight around the home if a parent is handicapped in some way. Children complain all the time about not wanting to stay in those environments. If you DH isn't willing to doing anything, there really isn't anything you can do. However, if you do suspect abuse or neglect, you really should turn that in to the authorities. Keep in mind that once you do, the other mother might figure out who did it. Since their is no contract, she may decide not to allow you to have her at all or on a very limited basis. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but the law won't be on your side. Even if you prove neglect or abuse, chances are the SD will stay with the mother and they will give the mother a chance to clean up her act.

Good luck no matter what you decide!

Last edited by DeBora4BobbyL; 07-07-2006 at 05:42 AM.
Reply With Quote