View Single Post
Old 09-18-2002, 11:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

unfortunately, our newspaper only puts news and sports online, so i can only say i made it in the 'print' media instead of pasting an url:

here is my creation:
__________________________________________________ __

Have you noticed how the horns on vehicles have become totally inadequate for the tasks that drivers’ now demand? I don’t mean just our local transit bus issue, but all over our city streets.

Today, at an intersection, I saw a driver turning right who honked, perhaps a bit too enthusiastically at an apparent friend - or maybe not. Another unfortunate driver proceeding straight though, lacking my vantage, heard only a loud blast and spun his head around, with a very unfriendly look to see who was honking (blasting?). I think we all do that at times: get on the offensive right away in case we really did do something wrong.

Horns no longer provide just such simple services as a warning system or form for greeting others. People are definitely trying to make much more complex statements with their horns. Warnings, of course, come in many varieties, from the quick little “watch out” tap to the” full force on the wheel and loudly, screaming blast” of “beware”

Similarly greetings range from friendly little taps of “hiya” to boisterous “how ya’ doing!”

There’s that mysterious tap, tap, tapping between the car - courtship members. I can not remember that one anymore but I know it’s still out there.

And then there’s all those other messages that drivers’ are using their horns for. I can’t really express them in words as I suspect they would not be printed anyway. Think of “hurry up” and “get out of my way” as a couple of the milder messages.

I do not understand why the vehicle manufacturers are not responding to this need. I would suggest that drivers have avail to a combination of tones , rhythms and volume that could express more efficiently and appropriately, the message they wish to express.

Personally, I would like a modest little and lyrical note that says “ooops, I’m sorry”, as there are always ‘those times‘.

I highly recommend that some way to distinguish the blasts of road rage from those of valid alarms is essential, if only to help sooth frazzled drivers who don’t know what that loud blast is all about.

But then, none of this is applicable to those with Discmans and booming stereo systems.

As it is said, we do have here, a failure to communicate.