View Single Post
Old 03-06-2006, 05:57 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

First, welcome to FC bligde, I want to welcome you to FC!

I won't laugh at you because up until about 6 years ago I was 88 pounds dripping wet! I was accused of having an eating disorder! My DD is 23 years old and has the same problem.

I remember when I first saw 3 digits on the scales. I got so excited that I wanted to celebrate!

Anyway, I never was able to successfully gain weight until I had health problems. But, here are a few pointers that I found helpful from doctors and nutritionists:

Don't drink anything before or during a meal unless you have to. You don't want to fill up on empty calories. In other words, you don't want to fill up on water and not have room for your meal. Eat foods high in calories like pastas, breads, rice, potatoes, and other carbs. Count your calories and try and get 3,000+ calories a day or more. Football players do it. You can beef up your between meal times with shakes. Put icecream, milk, chocolate, vanilla, and even fruit. If you can stand it, add a couple of raw eggs. I promise that you will not taste the eggs if you put it in a blender.

Anyway, good luck. I can tell you one thing, if it is any comfort, I went from being grossly underweight to being overweight currently. I can tell you that my self esteem was better as a skinny person than as an overweight person.

Another thing. My DD called me a couple of weeks ago upset because a woman, who was obese, stopped her and told her that she needed to eat because she is way too skinny. My DD asked me if that was rude. I think that it is because it isn't any worse than going to an overweight person and assuming that she eats too much and commenting on her weight.

Keep your chin up and you can also try going to see a nutritionist! He/she may also give you suggestions.