View Single Post
Old 02-19-2006, 04:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I'm going to echo what everyone's said so far, but going to add in this point: I did 14 years in Girl Scouting before my son became a Tiger Cub and then on through Cub Scouting. And on the flipside, I had a girl whose parents had gone all the way up through Cubbies with her brother and they were totally befuddled by the GS. It is a HUGE difference. In GSing, what we, as leaders, were working towards was the girls learning new things and learning to do more and taking more responsibility for things as they grew. As an example, my co-leader and I didn't decide what Try-its we wanted to do and then organized it and did it. We broke the girls into small groups, called Patrols, and helped them look through their Handbooks at the different Try-its, and voted on what they'd like to do. When we went camping, Lisa and I would show them some campfire recipes and the girls would decide what they wanted to make. As they got older and into Juniors, they became more and more self-governed. For example, Brownies make money from every calendar and box of cookies they sell. They earned it, and we guided them towards deciding what they would spend it on. GS should be fairly self-sustaining!

Compared to Cubbies, where the leaders make most of the choices and the idea behind food at a camp-o-ree is to get everyone fed! In GSing, the process is part of the program.

I don't think the Cubbies way is bad or wrong, it's just a very different program. I don't ever recall our Boys being taught how to plan a field trip or send a TY note to someone who came to speak or teach them something, or meeting with the leader at the supermarket to buy the food for a camp-out. That IS the GS way. On the flipside, a GS camp-out is a GS activity, not a family activity like the Boy Scouts are, where the entire family is invited. Is one better than the other? ... it's different!

Rani