Thread: Fibromyaglia
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2002, 06:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

~Juliebelle~

Hi there,

It sounds like you're not feeling very good, and not getting many answers. I know how frustrating that can be!

I got a couple of things from your post...

You're 36; going on 37

You've been having your health changing for the past 3-4 years, possibly connected to the birth of your last child <?>

You talk about headaches, muscle aches menstrual changes, concentration and memory problems and weight gain.

But you say there is no fatigue to speak of.

Now I know you're anxious to find a solid answer, but don't rush to stick a Fibromyalgia diagnosis on your self. One place your symptoms don't fit at all is your lack of fatigue. Now that is good news!

Mindbending fatigue is a hallmark of fibro. Like "open the stopper and drain out your last molecule of strength through your bone marrow" fatigue.

Also the pain of fibro is specific to 18 trigger points located in the fascia throughout the body. Not so much in generalized muscle pain.

Also, not that I'm making any kind of a diagnosos here, but your symptoms sound awfully a lot like peri-menopause! I started having these at around 35. They cleared up nicely at 45 when I had my hysterectomy
I'm not trying to be glib...but except for my memory lapses...all that other crap is much improved

But back to the point...a good diferential diagnoses for fibromyalgia is made by a Rheumatologist. These are the guys who specialize in treating arthritis and lupus patients, etc. Find one who knows about fibromyalgia, and go get an opinion.

You loose nothing by checking it out. But you don't want to just put your symptoms off to either fibro or peri-menopause...all these symptoms could also be hallmarks of something more serious, and we all have had to get it checked out.

Fibromyalgia is what doctors call a "diagnosis of exclusion". This means that they have excluded all other possible causes for your symptoms, and are feeling safe calling your condition fibro. There are no tests to positively confirm or diagnose the existance of fibro. Isn't that lovely?

So, I have been very long winded...but I hope I have said something helpful. Feel better, and good luck getting a diagnosis. In the mean time, speaking for myself, you're welcome to stay and chat.

Val