View Single Post
Old 09-10-2002, 06:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

jodi picault

i have read all of her books, although there are not a great many. she has recently re-released one of her first books as she becomes more popular. if you can read them in the order she wrote them, you can see how she develops to become such an intuitive women's writer.

there are two other women writers that i have found of her calibre. the first, who is basically my favourite, is maeve binchy. her books are set in the UK in current time and show remarkable yet everyday women dealing with life's turmoils in the most remarkably ordinary fashions...the situations, the relationships are emotionally insightful and so easily identified with.

the other writer is marge piercy. she has been writing for a long time and her books can come in variety of shapes, so to speak, as she has experimented in her writing style. she has written two wonderful ones on mother/ daughter/grandmother relationships that cover different time spans for all age readers

and as with picoult, there is social and situational commentary so the pleasure of reading is compounded by new knowledge and innovative analysis.

hmmm...didn't mean to sound like an english prof, but i really believe these kind of contemporary writers give a more valid expression of life than the term 'novel' conveys. i think they border on 'literature' and may one day be recognised as such.

i just finished reading a thriller set in contemporary palestine and eastern europe. the book was actually lousy in terms of plot but the writer knew his history so i learned a few things that i had not understood before.

there's a stack of books from the library by my chair and i don't know what i'll be in the mood to read tomorrow.

carol