Thread: daycare ideas
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2002, 07:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am a daycare provider...we've done lots of things...but here are a couple of things. These mostly involve mealtime or snacktime.

On Dr. Seuss's birthday, we had green eggs and ham (scrambled eggs with green food coloring added) for breakfast and read Dr. Seuss books and did coloring pages.

On Easter, we took graham cracker squares, they frosted them with green frost...sprinkled green sugar and pushed in colored jelly bean eggs into the frost before devouring!

During Mardi Gras season, we did Mardi Gras coloring pages, made noise makers from paper plates and beans, colored and wore masks, had a parade...and make mini King Cakes from biscuit dough.

For Mothers Day and Christmas, we have made pancake mix for the moms and other mixes.

At Christmas, we make and decorate christmas cookies. We made a pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving.

During the summer we play in the water and make blue jello with gummi fish poked inside.

Before the childrens birthday, the other children color and decorate birthday cards or a banner for the birthday child. We do a mini party with cake, cookies or jello desserts.

We matted something for the moms that had their hand prints on it with a poem about how fast children grow up. One mom cried, she was so touched.

At Halloween everyone wears their costume...I put out all my pumpkins lit up...play scarey music, turn the lights down...and have halloween treats (green beverage is a must!).

I've let them decorate cakes for different holidays. We exchange mini gifts at Christmas.

We make Christmas ornaments. One year we made construction paper angels and glued an actual picture of their face where the angel face area was. Another year we cut their handprints from bakeable dough...baked and sprayed the hands...had punched a hole before baking for a ribbon to be tied through...as christmas ornaments.

We found some fine art color pages and everyone colored them....exposing them to Picasso and other artists. We play different music...I like to expose them to classical.

We attach baby receiving blankets on the shoulders of their shirts and let them be "super heros" (the boys, that is).

We love to catch different activities at the local library...story tellers...musicians...etc.
We usually have at least one lunch/play time at McDonalds every year (I have the parents pay for $2.00 of the meal).

We put on body tattoos occassionally...on the top of their hand...appropriate for children! The little girls love to make "hair-dos" and wear my shoes!

mommy to India, Taylor and Trinity