View Single Post
Old 08-02-2005, 07:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Practicing school routine

My 6 year old son will be starting first grade in a few weeks. Last year he was in the afternoon kindergarten so I didn't have to worry about when he woke up in the morning. He is a slow starter and hard to wake up so on Sunday night we started our school bedtime and morning school day routine.

Right now we are working with an 8:30 p.m. upstairs for shower, pick out clothes, read story and go to sleep by 9:00 p.m. system. In the morning the alarm goes off at 7:00 a.m. for rise and shine. He dresses in what we have laid out, goes downstairs and gets things out for breakfast and for his lunch box. I dress then join him. We fix breakfast and lunchbox together, we eat then he gets to play or watch TV until the timer goes off at 8:15 a.m. I remind him when the timer goes off that this would be when we would leave for school but today we are going to (and then I change whatever activity he was doing) so he knows that he is going to be interrupted when school actually starts. Hope perhaps this idea will help others!