View Single Post
Old 04-11-2005, 01:58 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Tami, we are in Lancaster County.

No, I did not get this information from our district. But, the preschool that DD is going to has kids from the district right next to ours. This particular district has been doing kindergarten screening since my older two kids went to kindergarten. They are now sophmore and junior years.

Our district just started screening since my DD who is in fourth grade. But, usually whatever the district next to us does, our follows.

Our district just started all day kindergarten for children who are found to need it. Such as speech problems, not knowing their alphabet, not sure what else.

I really do not want my DD to go to all day kindergarten. From my understanding this is not a year round thing. They have to qualify for the all day kindergarten. And than when they are proficient they "graduate" from all day kindergarten.

I would think that would be hard in both aspects. First, adjusting to being at school all day. Than after adjusting to it. Than graduating from it, and having to go back to half days. I would imagine they would than get bored.

I am wondering if the list of words that they are to know is the same list of words that they get in first/second grades called "No Excuse Words". There is to be no excuse as to why they can't spell them.

Hold a conversation?? My DD is so shy, I don't think she will even say a word to these people!!

After posting this I went through the papers that we got at registration.

They also want them to know:

Full name(not necessarily saying to spell it)

Phone number and area code

Address

City they live in

State they live in

And zip code

Another paper I have has shapes of shapes and animals in the middle of the shape there is a color, and they are to color that shape the color that is stated. On the opposite side it has things to do.

Such as

Clap your hands three times.
Jump nine times.
Touch your head and turn around.

another one:

Walk backwards to the door.
Hop back to your seat.
Sing the ABC song.

At the top of this page are the instructions:

Following Directions

Help your child to cut out the shapes below. Color the shapes the correct color by reading the color words. Place the shapes on a flat surface (table, floor, etc.) Let your child choose a shape. Read the directions on the shape and watch your child perform the actions. *Your might need to help your child with the actions.

But, I did not get a list of words.

Maybe when she goes for the screening she will get a list of things she should know.

I guess I should just relax and not worry so much. Here I thought I had a very smart child. But, now I am not sure if she will be ready!!

I did get preschool workbooks at WalMart for her to work in. She does really well with them. We are almost finished with them. I think I will buy a Kindergarten one for her to work in this summer.

Did you also know that the schools will most likely make all day kindergarten a normal thing. And that preschool might be mandatory!!!

That is how much they want these kids to be ready!!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!