View Single Post
Old 04-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
WOW, That is really strict for Kindergarten!

My son went to Kindergarten last year in Pa. He had to know the following:

Able to count to ten

Able to recite ABCs

They would like for them to be able to write their names but it isnt a requirement.

They had to be able to recognize and be able to draw a circle, a square, a triangle and a rectangle.

He went through a series of naming pictures.

He was asked to draw a picture.

And then 2 different teachers interviewed him to see if he could carry on a conversation and to see if he was prepared for school. They werent prepared for a 5 year old that could carry on a conversation like a 25 year old, lol!

Did you get this requirement list from the school that your child will be attending? If so, ask them for a list of words that he/she should know.

When I was teaching my son during the summer before he started Kindergarten, I searched the Internet for teaching sites that have sheets that you can print out.

I cant imagine that they would expect kids that age to start off knowing how to write upper and lower case letters or being able to use scissors effectively.

Good Luck to you! If you do find that list of words, please post them. Im very interested in seeing what they expect from the kids.

Karen, I forget, what part of Pa. do you live in?

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!