FamilyCorner.com Forums - View Single Post - Oatmeal Shortbread
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2005, 08:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Oatmeal Shortbread

Oatmeal Shortbread from Better Homes and Gardens (BHG.com)

Yummy yummy & super easy!

Ingredients:
1 c all-purpose flour
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 c butter
1/3 c quick-cooking rolled oats.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a medium bowl, combine flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crums and starts to cling. Stir in oats. Form mixture into a ball and knead until smooth. Refrigerate for at least one hour.

To make wedges: On an ungreased cookie sheet, pat or roll the dough into an 8 inch circle. Make a scalloped edge. Cut circle into 16 wedges, leaving them in the circle. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until bottom is just browning and center is set. Cut wedges again while still warm.

To make rounds: On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Use a 1.5 inch cookie cutter to cut 24 rounds. Place them 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet & bake for 20-25 minutes.

To make strips: On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into an 8x6 rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Using a knife, cut into 24 2x1 inch strips. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 20-25 minutes.

For all of these, cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

-------------------------------

I like to eat these by themselves, but they're also good with pudding, applesauce or vanilla yogurt - and my kids love them too! The kids also like to use other cookie cutters as well (just not with too many nooks & crannies, it gets messy!). We treat 'em like they're sugar cookies - but so much easier!

Have fun with it!
DS 08/29/01
DD 06/23/03
DS 02/02/05
My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!