Thread: Dog in Heat
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2002, 01:36 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I know that the dogs who receive this training are very well disciplined and they listen very well. I guess my fear was based on the fact that I didn't know enough about it, so I'll claim ignorance. Angel's mother's owner lives for his dogs. He is divorced, his son and ex wife live 1500 miles away, he is on disability, so he stays home and trains his dogs. I think it's great that he is able to do so.

He feeds his dogs an all natural diet that is kept frozen and thawed before use. It's raw meat and some fruits and vegies. I started Angel on it and didn't take her off till she was about 4 months old. It made her stink something awful! It seeped through her pores. I'm not knocking the nutritional value of the food, it's probably better than any of the commercial dog foods (in fact I'm sure it is) but it wasn't for us.

Anyway, a friend of mine who introduced me to the breeder where I got Angel made comments about feeding the raw meat to the dogs was to keep that "animal" or "freocious" drive alive in the dogs. So they would crave blood so to speak. I know it all sounds very juvenile, but those comments, coupled with the fact that his dogs spend most of their time outside or in their crates, got me a bit nervous. Don't get me wrong! The breeders dogs are beautiful and well taken care of, and very obedient. But I worried since I knew I would be the only one doing the training, my husband wouldn't be helping, and with all the kids around (we have 4) it all seemed very overwhelming and I didn't think I would be successful with it.

I only worried about her because I WAS influenced by my ignorance of the Schutzhund training methods. I have a great respect for those trainers and their dogs, they are fabulous. I'm glad I made the decision I did though. This fits into our life much better and the kids can even partipate in her training.

I hope I don't sound like too much of a novice now! LOL We love Angel and always welcome and respect professional advice and tips. Our obedience trainer is fabulous and his marvelous Golden Retriever has won so many trophies and ribbons that they've run out of titles for him!

Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda