Thread: Dog in Heat
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2002, 09:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Amanda...

I've bred German Shepherds and titled them for more than 25 years.....There are several options...

1--- if you purchased this dog for breeding, then you will have to be extra careful or she can get bred without you knowing...do not let her outside alone....be very very careful....

If you plan to breed, then you must do so responsibly...You have to get her xrayed for OFA certification of hips and elbows...I usually do preliminary xrays at 6 months, 1 year and 18 months...then at age 2, re-xray to send them into The OFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals) for certification.....Hips are then graded.. Excellent, Good or Fair.......If they do not fall any of these 3 categories, then hips are not certified and shouldn't be bred....because they have hip dysplasia. Personally I will not breed to a "Fair" rating....I have bred my animals to Good or Excellent only.

You must study the lines from which your bitch comes, and see what lines cross well with hers. Breeding is not a helter skelter let's breed to see puppies kind of thing.

Also if you decide to breed, the male must also have certification and good temperament. So there is a lot of planning and research involved to do a responsible breeding.

So you have to decide if you want a brood bitch or a family dog, which a brood bitch can be, but there are certain considerations that conditions that must be met if you are going to breed.

If there is anything else I can help you with, let me know...
Here is a pic of one of my males...

2...if she is to be just a family companion..( and i don't mean 'just' in a bad way...*chuckle*) then Call your vet and get her in for spay as soon as her heat is over or at his recommendation.

Last edited by Jeannie; 07-20-2002 at 09:10 AM.