View Single Post
Old 09-20-2004, 09:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

LOL! These bright little kids are the very ones that so frequently get "labeled" as ADD - especially the boys!

If they respond to some attention, it really helps to do the "standing over them" routine for a while - then gradually back off.

But a lot of this inability to focus on a task is related to too much TV (and the current recommendation is less than 1 hour a day prior to age 4)!!

We found that totally removing the TV from our kids' lives was the best thing we could have done. They learned to stay on a task for more than 5 minutes without commercials flashing at them all the time.

We did invest in the occasional rented move at Blockbuster for a reward, but they don't have commercials (!) and we wouldn't allow the kids to keep jumping up and down and talking during them.

It takes time and maturity for kids to get to where they can concentrate appropriately. And we, as parents, have to encourage them to behave properly at home so they can behave appropriately at school. And it ain't easy, Babalouie! The kids don't want to be civilized - they want to be little anarchists and have their own way all the time! So, our job as parents, is to civilize the little beasts! LOL! At times I felt like a tiger tamer! Back, you beasts! Back, I say! LOL!

Even the littlest ones can be encouraged to increase their attention spans - by starting with short tasks, and gradually increasing the length and types of the tasks. Rewards for correct accomplishments within a reasonable time frame helps.

I'm convinced that TV and some of the computer games are contributing to the "epidemic" of supposed ADD that we are seeing. Even the daycare centers use TVs as "babysitters" for the youngest kids! No wonder they can't focus for more than 5 minutes at a time! There are interruptions every 5 minutes for flashy 15, 30 and 60 second commercials!

OK, I'm off my soapbox!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth