View Single Post
Old 09-03-2004, 10:17 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I just got told today that I have IBS . . . I'm kind of in shock because I thought that IBS was when you are often beset with periods of constantly having to rush for the bathroom at the most inopportune moments. But apparently, per my doc, you can also have IBS if you are nearly always constipated, with infrequent bouts of having to rush to the bathroom.

It appears that this is something that I've been coping with most of my life without even being aware of it. I have to consume massive amounts of fiber to get things moving for me. Not the greatest when you are trying to low-carb.

I guess I'm going to have to do some research and studying to figure some of this out. I go back to the doc in a month for an evaluation of my treatment plan. For now, he's got me just taking Colace, but he told me that depending on how this works for me, he may give me Zelnorm for occasional short term use.

What type of IBS are you dealing with? How are you working with it? Do you have a tough time getting enough fiber?