Thread: Passover
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2004, 10:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Kathy~~

Let's see..

The main course can really be whatever the family prefers. Most families cook acording to "kosher" rules on Passover, even if they don't keep kosher households the rest of the year, so if meat dishes are served, there are no cream sauces with them. Gravies are thickened with potato starch rather than corn starch or flour.. and deserts are flourless.. so they tend to be either dense and chocolately, or mirangue based.

For main courses we have had Turkey, or roasted chickens, We have had beef brisket, (oven pot-roast), Roast beef ... basically whatever is convenient for the hostess. The Sedar takes a long time, so whatever is to be served should be "forgiving" of delayed serving times.

Some families serve fish, and can then serve dairy foods as well, as fish is considered neither dairy or meat... nut a "neutral" or "Pareve" food.

Whatever yis served, the meal is meant to be lavish and festive, as it is meant to signify the meal of a free-man.. and not the meal of a slave.

We usually eat potatoes and vegatables, and will often have a "kugle",( or pudding ) made from matzoh and eggs and cheese. One of my favorite has spinach in the recipe too. (Other times of the year my mother made a noodle kugel which was sweet with nodles, cheese, and cinnamon, but no nodles are allowed for the 8 days of Passover)

Asparagus and artichokes are some of my family favorites .. so are roasted red potatoes.

The foods on the Sedar plate are mostly symbolic... but some of them are delicious.

Charosis..the symbol of the mortar used the build the bricks of the Egyptioan pyramids.. is a wonderful food made from chopped walnuts, apples honey, cinnamon and wine. This is a favorite side dish that my kids look forward to at Sedar meals. They spread it on their matzoh, and are dissapointed if I haven't made enough to last several days.

If you ever have the chance to attend a Sedar, either with a Jewish family, or at a Church that is hosting a mock Sedar. I'd recommend it. It's a great way to connect with the story of the Exodus, and for everyone at the table to have a part in the retelling of the history. It's really one of my my favorite holidays of them all.

The other one I really like is Succot ( the Feast of the Tabernacles). That's another you might enjoy too.

Val