View Single Post
Old 01-17-2004, 05:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We recently and prayerfully made the desicion to make a change back in November. ( My son's 10th b-day) to be exact.
I had struggled with the desicion to move for years.

After talking things over with my dh we decided that church home where we had been for 13 years prior simply was not where the Lord would have us.

Regarding dress, scripture says that we should be modest and offer our best but the real issue is the heart:

1 Samuel 16:7
Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.

I think the most important issue is that the church you choose bear fruit and have sound doctrine:

Matthew 7:16 By their fruit you will reconize them.

Matthew 7:21 Not everyone who says to me, Lord, Lord will enter into the kingdom of heaven, but ony he who does the will of my father in heaven.

Titus 3:1 Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander noone, to be peaceable and considerate and to show true humility toward all men.

I understand the struggles you are having. We also were hurt badly by folks in our prevous church. There was alot of gossip (I realize there are problems everywhere though )and not much scripture at all. I felt like I could have joined any social club. I had to remind myself that I was serving Jesus Christ and not man.

The church we had been attending had alot of social activities, and incentives to attend....but in all of those years it honestly seemed my children didn't learn anything to equip themselves with spiritually.
The first week we were in our new church home, my son was running up to me all excited about the scripture he had memorized. I see a change in my spirit!

I think that I personally needed to look at the fact I had milk too long, ( so to speak) and now I needed to be fed the meat of God's word. I needed to be around like minded women who would not only encourage me but help me to be accountable!

I honestly don't think that a denominaton is a real issue. DOCTRINE is the issue, not the dogma.
When folks ask me what "religion" I am, I tell them none. I have a personal realtionship with Jesus Christ. I heard it said once that religion is our way of trying to reach God........

Acts 4:12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we may be saved.

John 4:23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit and his followers must worship in spirit and in truth.

Romans 12:1 Therefore I urge you brothers in view of God's mercy to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God which is your spiritual act of worship.

James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans adn widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Hope I have not offended anyone. This is what I look at.
May the Lord strengthen you and grant you wisdom as you seek HIS will!

Admit your mistakes so that NO ONE else can exaggerate them
You can NOT amputate your HISTORY from your DESTINY~ Beth Moore