Thread: Thumb sucking
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2017, 04:33 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Because it's babyish and looks ridiculous (not at all in keeping with how a 6, 7 or 8 year old should act), not to mention it often promotes malformation of a child's front-teeth (buck-teeth), and by age 2-3, a child should be gaining ground and moving forward - maturity wise, not still acting like a baby. It's not in keeping (whatsoever) as to a well-adjusted and maturing child, and it doesn't reflect a mother who is in touch with helping guide her child past their babyish years and ways.

We toilet train our kids by age 3 (on average), but because there are kids who would gladly continue wetting and soiling their pants if their mothers allowed them to, we should start keeping our children in diapers till age 6, 7, or 8? Because the child likes it and is comfortable that way?

Same goes for sucking on a bottle. Mothers try and wean their kids off the bottle by age 2 to 2-1/2 years, yet shall we all start allowing our 6, 7 and 8 year olds to carry on wandering around with a baby bottle flopping from their mouths by the rubber nipple, because they like the bottle over a cup?

And we work on getting our kids out of the crib by age 3 or 4, but because junior likes his crib, I should continue allowing junior to use his baby crib?

I think this is the exact problem with parenthood nowadays, babies raising babies. Mothers who haven't grown-up themselves. Furthermore, double-income importance has taken a front-seat today when it comes to all things, childrearing at the top, and it shows, whereas in my moms day, moms stayed at home, so children tended to be raised properly, hence the lack of levels in maturity I see today as compared to my generation.

A MAJOR pet-peeve of mine for the longest time now has been moms who have kids and then look to a daycare to raise them. Give me a break. If you want kids, then step up to the plate and show some responsibility and direction and stay home and raise your kids yourself, and yes, sometimes sacrifices need to be made (boo-hoo), so maybe there won't be that brand spanking new Cadillac Escalade parked out front in the driveway for all to see (wow, look at the Jones' next door), or a brand spanking new triple-decker home on the hill.

So pick one or the other, you either want kids and to be a parent, or you want a career, take a side, and for those who want both, quit yer-belly-aching as to child-care costs, and don't even think about crying that you can't afford diapers! That one really chaps my rear-end! Especially as a mom who raised SIX kids in CLOTH DIAPERS AND RUBBER PANTS (without daycare and constant babysitters)! Or has society become that inept that us older moms need to take today's younger mothers by the hand, and walk them through the process as to how to properly and economically diaper their babies? Honestly... I think it has come to that, among other things.

It all fits part-and-parcel with today's generation. Everyone wants kids but the days of old-fashioned mothering has all but disappeared. Sure, there's always the exception to the rule, so yes, there are good mothers out there today, but I tend to see more of the opposite side of the spectrum nowadays, hence the 5 year old kid sitting in the shopping cart at the department store or supermarket, with a tuft of disposable diaper sticking out at the back of their pants. Pathetic (to say the least).

Last edited by Miss Money Penny; 05-24-2017 at 05:54 PM.