FamilyCorner.com Forums - View Single Post - Empty nesters
Thread: Empty nesters
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2002, 08:16 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

empty nesters--me too!

Hi, I'm an empty nester SAHM. Like you, Jayne, I'm a real homebody. Things are tight financially with me and DH too, and I've tried to get back into Medical Transcription, which I did five years ago before we were married. But now I don't have the type of skills they need, which is Hospital and Acute Care, I only have Home Health care transcription. So...oh well. And I would only do it from home, also, not outside. But it didn't work out, so that's that. DH says that's fine, we'll be ok and he's happy I wanted to try. So, we will just be on one income. He works long hours at his food purchasing agent job, at a local resort. He does get to bring home food that they have phased out in the kitchen, and that helps us out quite a bit , especially in the meat department.

My situation is rather different from most empty nesters, in that my daughter lives apart from me, in my home state of Texas. I live way far up here in PA with my DH, it's his home state. But we have been up here four years together and I am SO homesick for the South! DH's children also live apart from us, here in this same town. Their mother has poisoned their minds against us and it's a continuing source of heartbreak for DH. His daughter graduates this month and he wasn't even given an invite to her graduation ceremony.

A good thing is that because I am so homesick, DH says we are going to move to Texas as soon as he finds a job. I am very uplifted by this turn of events, as you may imagine! I miss my daughter very much, more and more as time goes on. When we were first separated, she had just turned 12. Now she is nearly 16. I have seen her once in that time.

I have a piano and play it a lot. I am the leader of our church praise and worship band, and I also play special music for church
services at times. I love to read and am a regular haunt of the library, and I also make story tapes for the children in our church, as well as my nephew and niece in Georgia, and for my daughter too. I enjoy cross stitch and crafts in general, but my kick right now is rubberstamping and making my own greeting cards.
I also love to bake and cook Southern style, and Texas style.

But I am lonely, and was so glad to see Jayne's post...and then to see others too! All the women in my church have little children, as has been mentioned...or else they are senior citizens. I fall somewhere in the middle, thru the cracks, as it were. I just turned 44 in April.

Nice to meet y'all!

Bron
[email protected]