View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 08:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

My group in the sixties was the first to learn the key punch machine where I worked. Was easier than using a typewriter & calculator in the fifties. All the calls were recorded by key punch from a written slip of paper. Someone else would check them then count how many mistakes you made and how long it took us and them to process. At the end of the day it was all posted for all to see. It was really nerve wracking to do every day. Glad I got promoted where a computer printed out the calls on a tape then another computer punched out the cards. Used a collator four times to get them in numbered order and put the keypunched cards into a machine that printed the bills out. Hardest part was lifting the trays of cards and making sure you didn't mix the trays up when putting them in the machines. We all took turns running the different machines so we knew from begging to end what to do. Remember before computers had hundreds of girls sorting into little squares that were numbered all the slips of papers until each stack were in numbered order.

Was glad to have a job for 75 cents an hour to start in those days. As the years went bye paychecks went up but so did the cost of living. At least it counted towards getting my own social security check down the road.
_______
Sueanne

Last edited by Sueanne; 01-14-2015 at 08:44 PM.