View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 04:59 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

With our 17 yo nephew we buy him one of the several e-games he likes, and will give him a gift card /certificate for one of the places he likes to buy these games through for accessories or upgrades for a newer version. For our 7 - 12 year old nieces and nephews, we buy clothes knowing that theirs will be changed to something different, and they can use the difference for whatever they want, or change size(s) if needed - my mom suggested this with the two oldest ones. All of them are sporty in one fashion or another, so sometimes I try to find something that can be shared w/their siblings and /or friends. If I absolutely HAVE to give a gift card to a niece or nephew of their Birthday / Holiday gift, it is a small denomination so they have to collect several to buy that one item they wanted, or actually give me more ideas for stuff they want or need. For my oldest niece (she's almost 30), I will give her a gift card to a gas station near her or one of her favorite cafe's.

I'm a firm believer that unless you're out in the working field (house chores, paper routes, food service, offices, home-business, etc), you don't need extra cash (type) gifts...your parents / guardians might, but you don't.

That's just me tough.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins