View Single Post
Old 01-27-2002, 06:39 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Foods that freeze well

One of the FamilyCorner.com readers sent this to me:

I just want to pass on a few of the things that I have found freeze well.
Potato chips, nachos, etc. When they are opened, just put the rest back in, they are great and don't get stale. Also you can freeze cheese, I buy shredded cheese on sale and put in the freezer til needed. It only takes a few minutes to thaw and if you don't use it all, put the rest back. You can also freeze cereal, crackers, bread, noodles, instant potatoes, cake mixes and flour. Buy on sale and stock up. I try to put the boxed items at one end of the freezer. It is a good idea to use a permanent marker to put the date on and move the older ones to the top when you put in the new.

We also buy a 1/4 of beef every year. So at that time, when my freezer is low on meat, I remove everything and defrost the freezer. I put everything in boxes, or clothes baskets and cover with a blanket until the freezer is defrosted. It is good to do on a cool day or when you have the air conditioner on. It doesn't take too long to defrost your freezer. I just use a scoop and a bucket to get out as much frost before it all melts completely and then just take old towels to soak up the rest. Then I take some warm soapy water and wash it out with a rag. This really is not a hard job, but the stretching to the bottom is a little difficult as I am short!
At this time I get a good look at what is left and what I really use. I keep the meat at one end and try to stack according to cuts. When I put everything back, I put the newest in the bottom and proceed to put the older items on top. This seems to work very well for me, I know where most everything is. I keep the cheese, hot dogs, bags of frozen vegetable and other things that I can flatten out in the wire baskets.

This is also a time when I use some of the meat that hasn't been used up. I use my canner and cook up several packages of meat, then I tear the meat up, add some of the vegetables that may be in the freezer, and make vegetable soup. I usually do this at the end of the summer, so I also have cabbage and tomatoes that I can add to it. If not I may need to buy a few items to put in the soup. But it is great soup. I then put it in containers and freeze. Makes great meals later and also handy when you need to take something to someone who is sick. Soup is great when you don't feel well, and home made is the best! People love it!

Hope this has been helpful!
Dianne

Ps. I don't read this everyday, as I just don't have time. So if you use this info, could you let me know. I'd like to see if there is any response to it! This is the first time I have ever done this. Just curious as to how it works and want to get back to the right site! I'm new at this.