View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 09:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

you forgot to mention the ages of your children. That would change what your suggestions may come in as. Ex. When my children were younger, I wall muraled a scene from their favorite book "Pooh went over the treetops" on to the wall. Then had a huge play room in the basement. As they have gotten older, we converted it into a rec room with a western flair. We decorated it in our horse's memory w/his bridle, sepia prints of shots taken w/the kids and he as they grew, along w/ a matted story my son had entered into a contest when he was younger, titled "The horse & his boy". We got a fooseball table, large screen tv and rustic furniture. The walls I painted tan and I painted the bottom woodgrain to simulate wanescoating/barn boards.

I also had the idea to put lattice on the ceiling to hide the ceiling joists. In the lattice I was going to tuck silk ivy vines. On the walls I wanted to stencil a garden, then our horse past away and the other theme just popped into my mind and seemed appropriate.

If you live in a cold climate be careful covering pipe areas that are on exterior walls. Atleast put a vent to the pipes so that the warm air can go up to the pipes. I'm speaking from experience!

Have fun decorating!

ezlivinginvt