First Aid for Cat & Dog Injuries

February 12th, 2013 posted by Family Corner Staff

As we ease into the warmer months, even our backyards can be a hazard to our dear animal friends. Whenever a cat or dog is injured it should be taken to the veterinarian as quickly as possible. However, there are some things which can be done to ease the distress and pain first.


Objects such as fish hooks can become embedded in an animals skin. Cut the hook free from any fishing line, but leave enough line attached to ensure the hook is visible (especially if covered by fur). If the hook cannot be easily freed, gently ease it through until the barb is exposed. Cut off the barb with wire cutters or pliers, then ease the shank back and out throught the original incision. Clean and dress the wound and take the animal to the vet immediately. If the hook has entered the eyes, mouth or ears DO NOT attempt removal. Take the animal to the vets immediately as an anaesthetic may be required.


First find the wound, then using small scissors cut away the fur and clean with warm water containing a little antiseptic. If possible, cover the wound with a pad of clean cloth (i.e., a folded handkerchief) and bandage it to hold pad in place. These wounds should be seen by a vet as soon as possible and they can turn septic. With cats the first sign of a bite may be an abscess or swelling and it may become listless and off its food. Bathe the swelling with warm water and mild disinfectant and take it to the vet immediately. //


Locate the source of the bleeding, cover with a pad of clean cloth and bandage and visit the vet immediately.


If an animal’s limb is at an awkward angle it may well be broken. Gently ease the leg into a comfortable, more normal, position and, using a piece of wood roughly the same shape as the limb as a splint, bandage gently but firmly to support the broken bone. Visit the vet immediately being as gentle as possible.


Immediately remove collar, if any. Hold the animal’s mouth open and try to remove the offending object. Place an object such as a spoon across the corners of the animal’s mouth to prevent the animal’s jaw closing. If the dog has swallowed a ball, try to get your fingers behind it and hook out. Even if this action has been successful, do not let the dog eat or drink, keep it warm and visit the vet as the throat could have been damaged and need professional attention.


Never leave an animal in a car on a hot day. If a dog does get overheated, take it to a cool place immediately and, using sponges, towels or any other available material, soak it in cold water. Wrap cold, wet towels around its head and body. If possible give it ice cubes to suck. Take it to the vet immediately.


There can be several reasons for an animal limping. Examine the affected leg from the paw upwards for swelling, heat and obvious pain. Look for cuts, grit, thorns or splinters, especially in the pad. Remove any foreign bodies that will come out easily but go very gently to ensure nothing is behind. Clean any cuts in cold water. Do not attempt to remove glass or anything which is firmly embedded as slivers may be left behind, the animal should be taken straight to the vet. If the leg is swollen bathe in hot water and mild discinfectant and go to the vet. If there is signs of a septic wound apply a hot poultice made from hot kaolin paste (available from chemists) on a bandage. This will reduce the inflammation until it can be seen by a vet.


If your pet shows any of the following symptoms it is a possibility it could have been poisoned. This can be as a result of eating a poisonous plant, pills, solvents etc.


Lack of co-ordination, convulsions, coma, shivering, tremors, drooling, panting, vomiting, diarrhoea or burns to the mouth.


If your pet is in a coma take it to the vet immediately. Try to find out what your pet has swallowed. If a toxic substance such has solvent, the container’s label may give an antidote. If you think it was a corrosive poison such as acid or caustic soda, wash its mouth out with milk or water by holding the animal’s mouth open and pouring in the liquid. Call a veterinarian or animal hospital immediately. As long as your pet is not convulsing or unconscious, let it drink as much water as it wants, this will dilute the poison. Take any remaining toxic substance and/or packaging with you to the vet. If you are not sure what it has swallowed taking any suspected items. If you pet has been sick, take a sample with you.


If an animal is stung by a wasp or bee it is usually around the mouth area. If the sting is on the skin rub in an antihistamine ensuring the cream is kept away from the eyes and mouth. However, if the sting is inside the mouth the animal should be seen by a vet immediately.

Recommended Reading

: Gary Null has crafted the most beneficial pet care book available! Natural Pet Care is an invaluable resource for any and all pet lovers, regardless of what type of pet one has! This book provides exceptional guidance on what type of commercial pet food is healthy and safe for your beloved companion, how to detoxify your pet’s body and environment, whether or not to vaccinate, common dog and cat ailments and how to heal them, and much, much more. (courtesy: Amazon)

Family Corner Staff (674 Posts)

Featured Contributor

Cindy Rowe
Cindy Rowe (7 Posts)

Cindy Rowe is the owner/editor of Crazylou Creations blog. On the blog, you will find a little bit of crazy, and a whole lot of fun! As a FT working mother, she still finds time to create crafts, play around in the kitchen, plan parties and exercise. You'll find all of this and more on her blog!

Contests & Giveaways

Win Fun Stuff!

Check out all the fun goodies we are
giving away here!

Featured Giveaway

***WE HAVE A WINNER!**** Our #2 Anonymous Poster says: What an awesome giveaway! I’d love to win this and give it to my grandkids for Christmas! Thanks for the giveaway  […]   READ ARTICLE

Giveaways change every couple of weeks, so be sure to check back often.

Coming up!

Orange Carrot Less-Drip Ice Pops

Parents are always looking for ways to sneak some vegetables into their child’s diet. Well, unless your kids are avid carrot lovers, just call these orange ice pops — they’ll […]