Grocery and Household Cost Cutting Tips (XII)
76. Greatly reduce cooking time for fresh beets by using
a pressure cooker.
77. Extend 1 pound ground meat for meatballs or patties
with 1/2 cup cottage cheese. It adds flavor, protein and
increases servings from 4 to 6 per pound.
78. Evaporated milk can be used in place of heavy cream
for whipping. (Just be sure the milk is so cold that it has
crystals around the edge and that the bowl and beaters
are ice cold, too)
79. Stir 1 teaspoon lemon juice into an 8-ounce carton
of plain yogurt as a low-calorie, low-cost substitute for
80. Minimize refrigerator door openings. After a meal,
gather up everything in one area and open the refrigerator
81. It is not necessary to buy more expensive ground beef.
With proper cooking , most fat is lost in the cooking anyway.
Broil your hamburger patties (on a rack).
82. Avoid vending machines, coffee carts and snack bars
at work. Bring snacks from home.
83. "Read" a couple of good cookbooks from cover to cover.
84. Prepare as many meals as possible with energy-saving
appliances, such as a microwave, a pressure cooker or a
85. Cook several dishes all together in the oven. Freeze
some to reheat later. Be sure to cool the food down properly.
Tips courtesy of FamilyCorner.com Magazine -- http://familycorner.com
May be printed for personal and educational purposes only.
Copyright © 2005, FamilyCorner.com Magazine, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Click to return to the tip