Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > What Did You Do Frugal Today

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 04:00 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

What Did You Do Frugal Today~February 2014

For encouragement in frugal ways--large and small--look no further. This is where we share helpful hints for stretching our money, saving time and making sure we don't waste resources.

Remember, "frugal" does not mean "don't spend money!" It means "be wise with what you spend!"

What Did YOU Do Frugal Today?

Anna
Old 02-01-2014, 05:37 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

subbing
Old 02-01-2014, 05:38 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Happy February everyone!!!

LAURI - glad Miss V is going to be ok. Yes it is costly, but you are so right - they are our babies! Hope she continues to improve.

JEAN - no need to explain. I feel the same way.

BUTTERFLY - hope you have a great day.

NORMA - have a fun, yet busy day! Stay safe out there.

JACKI - Our thoughts and prayers are with you today (and everyday). I am sure the memorial service will be beautiful. HUGS

Month starting cloudy and wet. We got just a dusting overnight and now it's rain. Snow maybe tonight. Sounds like the area CAU and CHRIS live is to get a substantial amount of snow again. Enough is enough!!!!!
More snow coming Tues. & Wed.

Have a great day everyone!

Frugal Feb. Tips
I water down about everything from shampoo, dish soap, laundry detergent, to OJ. Sure stretches it out. When I think a bottle is empty I add a little water and get at least one more use.

Keep your prayers and thanks to God longer than your complaints.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:17 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Lauri, poor Miss V! At least she's on the mend now. Amazing how quickly the meds kick in, isn't it?

Jean, I didn't read that you were being offensive at all. LINK was a lifesaver for me when I first left my ex husband and had 4 kids to feed. I moved here from Chicago area and started looking for a job after the 1st week of just getting the kids calmed and explaining to the younger two why we left (horrible time let me tell you). But I was looking for jobs and got a good one in a month (that was 2003, a lifetime ago).

Cheryl, jobs are so scarce here too. If IL Governor has his way more places will go out of business. He wants min. wage to go to $10.25 an hour, mom and pop stores will have to close, they won't be able to afford paying their help that wage.

Butterfly, I hope you're having a wonderful day!

Roberta, hope you can start your taxes!

Chris, how are things going with you?

I've got a cleaning job in less than 2 hours, praying my back holds up. I've had several good days but of course last night it started acting up but I know we're due for a weather change. I have noticed since I lost that 7 lbs from almost 2 weeks ago I've felt some better. Keeping it off and losing more is my next hurdle.

All of my tax info is in but I'm going to have to do my taxes at work, will prob go int here this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon. My printer has decided to stop working and I need to print out my return for Rachel and possibly Megan's college stuff, FASFA.

Hope you all have a great day!

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Jacki, Thinking of you and your family today.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Subbing for now!

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 02-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

LISA - good luck with the cleaning job.
Yes, the President is wanting to raise the minimum wage too. I think if that happens along with all the insurance hoops businesses now have to jump thru, there will be a lot of small places closing and a lot of people out of work. So sad.
I think it will get worse before it gets better too.

I finally got out today and around people!!!!
I went to PO for a drop off. Then to Kroger to get fresh fruit and veggies and milk.
I stopped and cashed in a $40 winning lotto ticket I got a few weeks ago! YAY, I usually only get free tickets, first time in ages I won money.

Everything put away. Entered for 50 additional points on Kroger gas points.
Got chicken out to thaw. Will be making chicken and small amount of noodles and green beans for dinner.
All meals from home.

Gray, wet day here, but it is 40*

For January our grocery total was $121, and that included 3 gal. of fresh cider and a bushel of apples from the orchard. Those cost about $43, so that leaves about $78 for everything else for 2 people. WOOHOO My garden canning and stockpile sure do pay off. I am more than pleased.

TTYL

Keep your prayers and thanks to God longer than your complaints.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Lauri we all pay for our furbabies, what choice do we have?? Can’t have them suffer

Norma I wish I could say I’m that good every month but reality is I’m not but I keep trying. Have fun with Kyler tonight

I think everyone agrees it is wrong to bilk the system, it is meant to help in bad times not be a way of life. We have to educate our young & not let them out of school unless they have skills. Stop blaming the teachers for people not raising their own kids. Off my soap box!sorry

Lisa Costco pays all it people above minimum wage & is doing very well. Around here it is the big chains who are screaming about minimum wage. Maybe they should stop paying their top men millions and spread it around. No adult should have to work 40 hours or more & need food stamps to feed their kids like McDonald’s told their employees to do.

Snow snow & more snow! Cheryl you were right we got hit again. About 6 inches so far maybe more & it keeps starting again. Next 2 days super cold then snow again Tuesday & Friday. I’m beginning to wonder if spring will ever come ! Folks it is only February ! heck we have 2 more months at least Stay warm & dry if you are in Illinois stay in

When I ask “what’s in it for me, “my bowl will never be full
When I ask “what can I give to help others” my bowl will never be empty.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

cheryl, dh asked me what you can and how much you spend on meat and milk?

we are planning our garden.

do you only include food items in the groceries?

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."

Last edited by ellenmelon; 02-01-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:29 PM
FamilyCorner Addict

Good evening all!!

I will be off to take care of Kyler for a little while in a few minutes.

Just wanted to tell you all what I got for $100 plus a $25 gc. Started off at GW. Got 2 pair of jeans, a pair of gray cords, an unworn cotton sweater (pretty Irish pattern), an unused baby blanket that says "Bless This Child" for a co-worker that I just found out yesterday was expecting, and a new purse.

Then I went to Boscov's with the gc. While there my gf called and said she was in the shopping center next to Boscov's where GW is, and was headed to Boscov's. Since neither of us had eaten, we met at Golden Corral, ate, then went back to Boscov's. I found cords (black, chocolate and a lighter shade of brown) for $9.99 each. So, I only spent $4.97 after gc for 3 more pair of pants.

We went our separate ways and I went to Lowe's for the new garbage can. Then on to WM for their splenda substitute, and a "hot buns" which is what the kids really wanted me to have have for Christmas. While there, they were refilling the "clearance" section for babies, and I got Kyler some "puffs" that they are no longer carrying. Of course I called Amanda first to make sure he could have these flavors.

Then on the way home I stopped at the $1 produce and picked up bread, tomatoes and cukes.

Well ladies, better go for now. Time to get out of the house.

Take care all!! Norma

Closed Thread